Vice President’s Staff Meeting Minutes
December 15, 2015
Muriel Mickles, Peter Dorman, Jim Lemons, Michael Farris, Mike Danos, Kenny Holt, Betty Jo Smith, Ed McGee, Mary Evans, and Mike Fein
High school students receiving Financial Aid: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel noted that there is a newspaper article out there regarding this topic. Currently, high school students cannot receive financial aid. But, CVCC is working on a proposal to allow high school students to receive financial aid. CVCC will have to be one of the schools chosen for this initiative. The application to be in the program is February 1st. Only certain students will be eligible, not every student will qualify for this type of financial aid. It will be PELL Grants and not loans.
Dual Enrollment Brochure: Muriel Mickles
- High school counselors have been asking for a dual enrollment brochure and we are currently creating one. It is almost ready to be printed. It talks about all of the various ways students have opportunities to dual enroll at CVCC.
- Also, we will be having a counselor workshop for all middle school and high school counselors. Betty Jo requested that the career coaches be included in that workshop.
Marketing Initiatives: Muriel Mickles
- We have started a marketing team to help with marketing initiatives. If anyone has any marketing strategies that you think could benefit CVCC, let Muriel and Michael know.
- Jim mentioned that on February 22nd at 6pm there will be a meeting for all area school divisions to discuss CTE courses.
OER Classes for the spring semester: Muriel Mickles
- OER stands for Open Educational Resource classes. There has been a grant obtained to develop classes in which the cost of books is under $40 and some classes will have no cost for books.
- There will be twelve classes offered in the spring in various subjects including: Biology, English, History, Math, Music, Government, Economics, Political Science, etc.
- The goal is to offer General Studies and Business Administration fully with OER classes.
- This will be identified and marketed more in the fall.
- For the fall, there will be reduced cost books, not necessarily $40 and under.
New Hires: Muriel Mickles
- CVCC will be interviewing for the Dean of Student Success and Coordinator of Financial Aid positions.
- Recent new hires include Michelle Fluker, career coach for Amherst County, and Sarah Jarrett, Job Information and Career Advisor, both of which are part-time positions.
Late Registration (January 9th from 9-1): Muriel Mickles
- Muriel said that studies have shown that when students register and start classes late, they are more likely to drop out or do poorly. So, Dr. Capps wants to do away with late registration during the first week of classes. For the fall semester, there will be no late registration during the first week of classes. We will add in and try out 14-week sessions for those who come in and try to register late.
- We will have our late registration date on January 9th from 9am-1pm.
Convocation: Muriel Mickles
- The convocation schedule will go out soon.
- Jim said that there will be a curriculum committee meeting on the 6th during that week.
Catalog: Muriel Mickles
- We have a new catalog coming out soon. The team is almost done and will be making sure to get it all done before we leave for Christmas break. After everything is in and proofed, they will be ordered and sent to the printer.
Inclement Weather Policy: Muriel Mickles
- A copy of the inclement weather policy that Will presented to the President’s cabinet yesterday was handed out to everyone. There were no questions regarding this policy.