Vice President’s Staff Meeting Minutes
February 9, 2016
Muriel Mickles, Peter Dorman, Jim Lemons, Tammy Johnson, Pat Gatti, Mike Danos, Ed McGee, Mary Evans, and Mike Fein
Tuition Payment Plan (currently TMS): Pat Gatti
- Pat had an experience this spring with the payment plan.
- The cutoff date was prior to the last day to enroll in classes.
- He said he looked at DCC and VWCC and their dates were after ours.
- He talked to Dan and Dan said that it looked like John Poole set up the dates when he entered into the contract with TMS.
- Pat contacted Pam in Accounting, she contacted TMS, and they were able to extend the deadline for a few students for the spring semester.
- He asked if we can make the dates with TMS more consistent going forward.
- Pat mentioned that it is the first semester that they have noticed that it has impacted students because there was a 10 day difference than in the past.
- Muriel asked Pat to set up a meeting with Dan and herself to discuss this matter.
New Curricula: Muriel Mickles
- There are new programs that have been proposed and sent to the VCCS. They have not been approved yet, but should be approved soon.
- They are an AAS in Health Technology, with two specializations – Medical Coding and Compliance and Medical Scribe; an AAS in Fire Science Technology; and a Career Studies Certificate in Biotechnology. Both should be ready for fall 2016.
14-week fall schedule: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel said that she talked to the deans yesterday and they have determined that we will have a 14-week schedule since we will no longer have late registration.
- Last day to register for classes will be the Saturday before classes start.
- Students who come in late (during the first week of classes) will be directed to enroll in the 14-week sessions or 2nd 8-weeks.
OER Courses to be developed: Muriel Mickles
- There have been 13 courses that have been developed already.
- Another 6-7 are being developed this semester.
- There are 11 classes left to develop in order to have 2 fully OER degrees. It is moving along and should be ready by fall.
Faculty Advising: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel said that she is going to start working on the process for faculty advising.
- New students will meet with a counselor and then in their second semester and beyond, they will meet with a faculty advisor.
- Phase one will be CTE programs and then phase two will be transfer programs because they are a little more difficult process.
Counselor workshop: Muriel Mickles
- Counselor workshop will be on March 9th, 8am-12pm.
- It will be area-wide for middle school and high school counselors to get them up to date on what we offer.
- Also to be invited are principals, assistant principals, off-site center directors and counselors, career coaches and the deans will also be in attendance.
Open House for HS seniors: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel said that there will be an open house for HS seniors who have not been able to attend other workshops or orientation meetings. More information on that to come.