Vice President’s Staff Meeting Minutes
November 20, 2018
Muriel Mickles, Jim Lemons, Cindy Wallin, Michael Farris, Pat Gatti, Kenny Holt, Mike Danos, Ed McGee, Mary Evans, David Lightfoot, and Cynthia Lofaso
Changes in Personnel: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel said that Mike Danos will be retiring as of December 14th
. Hiring for his position has started. Sue is hiring a new counselor at the Appomattox Center and will be starting in December. All four Navigators are on staff now and will be working on onboarding with the counseling center. A new mobile advisor has been hired, which is part of a grant experiment, and his job is to contact students who have 45 or more credits completed to let them know they are close to the finish line. Campbell County got the Perkins Grant and have reached out to have a Career Coach like the other counties have.
Title III Grant: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel said that because we obtained $1.96 million for the Title III Grant, other positions we will be hiring will be a Project Director, Student Success Activities Coordinator, Applications Support Engineer, Math Lab Coordinator, and several part-time Math Tutors. In addition, we will be hiring Student Success Advocates that will work with students dealing with issues that aren’t academic, such as food insecurity, housing, child care, etc. Their job will be to coordinate services for those students to keep them connected so that we can provide wrap-around support for our students.
NACEP: Muriel Mickles
Part-time Workload: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel told the deans and site directors that we have to pick up the speed again for this process. She asked the deans to go back over that list of courses because they need to meet on it next week to finalize it. CVCC will be applying for accreditation in 2019, so we have to get everything lined up soon.
- Muriel gave everyone a handout from the VCCS that goes over the Part-time Position Workload Calculations. It shows how many hours someone can work and if they can teach, how many hours they can teach. For instance, if a part-time employee is teaching a 3 credit course, there are only 21 hours remaining for their workload. It is of the upmost importance that everyone adhere to these guidelines because the college can be fined for being out of compliance.
Enrollment: Muriel Mickles
- Muriel said that enrollment is looking good for spring, but sometimes the numbers can be misleading so, therefore, we need to be diligent in enrolling and retaining students.
Internal Pictures Proposal
- Muriel said another item that came up in the President’s Cabinet meeting yesterday was internal pictures of everyone on email. She said that she would like all of her staff to be the first to get pictures up on their email profiles. There will be more to come at Convocation.