Cultural, Diversity, and International Education Committee
4/2/2019 12:00:00 AM
David McGee, Chair, Jill Markwood, Deborah Harris, Michelle Penner, Lorenz Chan, Deborah Harris, Maria Wright, and Tammy Sheehy.
Deanne McDaniel came in late.
Barbara Scott, Kingsley Chukwu, Christina Brannon, Michael Babcock, Fazi Arabi, Lynn Dillard.
(Note: Fazi Arabi, Michael Babcock, and Kingsley Chukwu attended one of six meetings this year. The others did not attend a single meeting.)
The list of events during 2018-2019 were:
- September 29, 2018 – play “Emma” at the American Shakespeare Theater
- December 16, 2018 – play “A Christmas Carol” at the American Shakespeare Theater
- February 28, 2019 – PBS Documentary – “Maya Angelou”
- March 21, 2019 – PBS Documentary – “Freedom Summer”
- March 11, 2019 – Washington DC trip
- April 6, 2019 – Monticello
- April 9, 2019 – PBS Documentary – “Rachael Carson”
- May 2019—“Merry Wives of Windsor” at the American Shakespeare Center.
- The first order of business was deciding whether the committee felt whether it should continue. At issue was: the fact that very few members of the committee remained active and helped with events, the faculty and staff of the college did not support these events, and it had become very difficult to find events that students would attend. After a fifteen minute discussion, a vote was held and the committee voted four to three to continue the committee (with one non-voting member and one not arriving in time to vote).
- Lorenz Chan agreed to serve as chair for 2019-2020
- All committee items were to be sent to Lorenz
- David McGee agreed to purchase more cultural/diversity videos to show to students for later.
- Lorenz Chan agreed to lead a group to Staunton to the American Shakespeare Theater to see “The Merry Wives of Windsor.”
None at this time.
None at this time.