Skip to Content

2013-04-02

Minutes of the Evaluation and Assessment Committee
Xavier Retnam called the meeting to order on April 2, 2013 at 1 p.m. in Room 5210.

Members Present:
Peter Dorman, Joey Fronheiser, Carol Keeth Williams, Jeff Laub, James Lemons, Muriel Mickles, Kris Ogden (non-voting member), Gary Randolph, Xavier Retnam (Chair), Pam Reynolds (Recorder), Will Sandidge, and Paul Forrest (Member of Evaluation Task Force)

Members Absent:
Cathy Beale (non-voting member), Lynn Dillard, and Cynthia Heying (non-voting member)

Meeting Minutes from February 19, 2013 meeting:
Xavier handed out a copy of the previous meeting’s minutes. Due to Pam sending a copy via email to all members prior to the meeting, the minutes were not read aloud.

Old Business:
Xavier handed out an agenda for today’s meeting announcing due to the fact this meeting was a joint meeting with the Faculty Evaluation Task Force, Rick Tyler’s meeting has been postponed. Also included in the agenda was the update from the Faculty Evaluation Task Force.

Update on Faculty Evaluations and Awards. Peter gave the update on the faculty evaluations. He discussed the checklist for the review of College Faculty Development and Evaluation Plans. There are still some items that need to be tweaked and not spelled out. He is waiting for more feedback from the Employee Recognition Committee (ERC).  Peter discussed the different domains with Muriel and how their weight would be evaluated within the evaluation policy. Peter announced starting next year we would go through the transition from academic year to calendar year. For example, the deans would meet with their faculty by January 15 and would have faculty evaluations completed for the previous year by February 15. Jim asked if we would be able to use percentages on the Employee Work Profile (EWP) for Human Resources.  Gary believes that would be too much paper handling and does not think percentages should be used on EWPs.
Will stated we would need to make a recommendation for the annual amount of the awards. This amount would be needed to be able to put it in the budget. It was suggested around $10,000 annually. Jim reminded the committee of the expense needed in the production of the certificates, plaques, etc. The committee recommended a total of $12,000 annually with around $500 being the cost of the expense.
 Peter will send out a revised checklist in a few days. He will get the committee’s approval and send to Dr. Capps for his approval and he will send to the VCCS office. Will stated he would need to have this ready to present to the local board.

Assessment List and Timeline. Joey sent the members of the committee an email previous to this meeting stating the SACS-COC Special Committee had requested meeting with the committee on Wednesday, April 10, in the President’s Conference Room. He wanted to discuss with members the talk with SACS and provide any additional information we would need for the meeting.
Joey handed out a part of the report which was sent to SACS. It included the goal of the CVCC Governance Council which main goal was Focus ’14. He suggested we all understand Focus ’14. It also included the purpose of the Evaluation and Assessment Committee and a copy of the minutes.  As a part of the on-going process we received an Educational Program Assessment Annual Schedule with activities, due dates, and the person responsible with each activity. This will ensure we all stay on track with the assessments. We also received a copy of the CVCC Educational Programs 2012-13 Assessment Cycle showing we are up to date at this time. Joey has a positive attitude about the meeting with SACS on April 10.

New Business:  There was no new business to report.
Our next meeting is TBD at a later date.
Carol motioned the meeting be adjourned at 1:50 p.m. Joey seconded the motion.
Minutes submitted by Pam Reynolds
Back to top