Skip to Content


Minutes of the Evaluation and Assessment Committee
The meeting was called to order on November 12, 2013 at 1 p.m. in Room 5208.

Members Present:
Lauren Calloway, Cheryl Cunningham (Chair), Peter Dorman, Joey Fronheiser, Jessica Hogan, Jeff Laub, James Lemons, Linda Mallory, Kris Ogden, Xavier Retnam, Pam Reynolds (Recorder), and Will Sandidge

Members Absent:
Cathy Beale, Muriel Mickles, Julie Piercy, and Gary Randolph
Cheryl announced Gary would not be attending the meeting due to working on faculty evaluations and Jeff announced Cathy could not be at the meeting due to staffing the Science, Math, and Engineering office.
Cheryl stated she received an email from Julie saying she should not be on this committee due to being a member of the Compliance Committee. Kris mentioned she was not receiving emails from the committee. Cheryl will look into having Julie’s name taken off the committee and adding Kris’s name to the committee’s emails.

Meeting Minutes from October 1, 2013 meeting:
Cheryl handed out a copy of the previous meeting’s minutes and an agenda for today’s meeting. Due to Pam sending a copy via email to all members prior to the meeting, the minutes were not read aloud. Jim approved the minutes and Peter seconded his approval.

Old Business:
Report by the (OIESP) Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Planning. Joey reported the “good news” from the OIESP. They are on track on all assessments. The assessments are an ongoing process and they are making improvements as they get the feedback from the faculty for the educational assessments and the department heads for the departmental assessments.
He announced the new employee, Caroline Bailey, who will be helping Kris with the fall 2013 graduation student assessments. Kris will be starting the assessments on December 3.
He stated at this time there were no problems to report. Once again this is an ongoing process and improvements would be made as they receive feedback.

Discussion of Charge/Purpose of Committee. Cheryl announced attending a workshop for the chairs after our last meeting. It was a very good, informative meeting. She asked for guidance in deciding the charge/purpose of the committee. She was told it basically was up to the committee to decide the purpose.  Did the committee think it needed changing? She included in our agenda for today’s meeting the charge/purpose of the committee which is the following:
Provide advisement and support in the effective collection and use of information, data, evaluation, and research to accomplish the mission of Central Virginia Community College, specifically as it involves:
1.     Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) reaffirmation
2.     Student course evaluation
3.     Academic program assessment
4.     Annual evaluation of employees by supervisors
5.     Annual administrator evaluation by faculty, staff, and secondary administrators
After reading over the list, Cheryl believes everything is being done except #5 which is an annual administrator evaluation. Joey discussed there were different types of administrative evaluations. He mentioned a 360 evaluation which is an evaluation by a management team, supervisors, and subordinates; not Human Resources. Will stated there had been an evaluation like this in the past. Joey asked Jim what was his take on administrator evaluations. Jim thinks it is a good thing as long as it improves management. In order to make this work, Jim indicated we need key objectives and certain goals to meet. Xavier believes it would generate a lot of negativity from faculty and he thinks there is no need for negativity towards the administrators. After much discussion, Joey asked Jim if he would be willing to research how other colleges handle administrator evaluations. Jim will work on researching other colleges and work with Will to see how these evaluations were handled in the past.
From our agenda, Cheryl suggested we set one goal for the committee to work on this academic year. Will would like to know that one goal. Cheryl recommended the administrative evaluation which the committee all agreed upon.

New Business:
New Objectives for Assessments. After our last meeting, Jessica created new objectives for our assessments. She will send the committee an email with the new objectives. We will discuss these objectives at our next meeting.

New Faculty Evaluation Process. Jim announced the new faculty evaluation process. He believes the faculty is struggling with the new process. He thought it would a good idea to send an email to faculty telling them to be conservative. Have meaningful goals—not so many goals. Peter suggested three to five overall. Jim announced a training program at Danville Community College on November 22. Jane Pearson, the new BAH health instructor, will be attending this training workshop. She will be sharing any new information with Jim. He is questioning if we should create our own workshop. After receiving the information from Jane, this could be an option to help faculty who are struggling with this new process. Jim will give us an update at our next meeting.

 Agenda topics for next meeting:
·       Update from Joey on the Educational and Departmental Assessments Process
·       Discussion of Jessica’s new objectives for assessments
·       Update from Jim on the research of administrator evaluations
·       Update from Jim on the new faculty evaluation process
·       Any new business
Our next meeting will take place on January 14, 2014 at 1 p.m. in Room 5208.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:50 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Pam Reynolds
Back to top