Skip to Content

2014-02-18


Minutes of the Evaluation and Assessment Committee
 
The meeting was called to order on February 18, 2014 at 1 p.m. in Room 5208.

Members Present:
Cathy Beale, Lauren Calloway, Cheryl Cunningham (Chair), Peter Dorman, Joey Fronheiser, Jessica Hogan, Jeff Laub, James Lemons, Linda Mallory, Kris Ogden, Gary Randolph, Xavier Retnam, Pam Reynolds (Recorder), and Will Sandidge

Members Absent:
Muriel Mickles
Muriel did not attend today’s meeting due to attending the QEP meeting.

Meeting Minutes from the January 14, 2014 meeting:
Cheryl announced due to the suggestion and approval from the previous meeting for the minutes not to be emailed to the individual committee members; but approved by the chair of the committee and then uploaded to Communication Central, the minutes were not read aloud. Cheryl asked the members if they had any changes to let Pam know and corrections would be made to the minutes. Each member had read the minutes on Communication Central and with no corrections the minutes were approved by the committee.

Old Business:
Report by the (OIESP) Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Planning from Joey. Joey reported the assessments were still going well. The Departmental Assessments and Educational Assessments are up to date as they are an ongoing process. Joey announced this would be his last meeting since he has taken the position of Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs at Oklahoma State University. He stated what a joy it has been for him to be a part of Central Virginia Community College. Kris Ogden will be taking his place and will be handling the on-site visit in October. He wanted to thank everyone for their assistance in the assessments. His last day at CVCC will be February 21, 2014. The committee wished him well in his new venture.

Update on the Research of Administrator Evaluations by Jim Lemons. Jim announced a new policy (Evaluation of Administrative and Professional Faculty) had been added to the employee manual. This new policy was included in the Daily Bulletin on February 6, 2014. Jessica asked if a link to the process could be included in today’s minutes. You can access this policy by clicking the following link: https://employee.cvcc.vccs.edu/manual/employmentpolicies/evaluation/facultyevaluation/pages/home.aspx
Jim has been in contact with Dr. Christopher Lee, Associate Vice Chancellor in Human Resources with the Virginia Community College System. Dr. Lee is not aware of the college implementing evaluations at this point but is very interested in the idea. Jim suggested talking to Leticia Forester in Human Resources. Dr. Lee is down one staff member at the system office and will get back with Jim at a later date. Jim believes the direction of the system office is the 360 evaluation.
Peter has looked into six or eight schools which have a low response rate. He will follow up on those schools. Cheryl discussed Carillion Clinic using the 360 evaluation and how well it works. Joey thought the administrative evaluation should be used as a starting point for an anchor. Pick the most important items and develop a new form based on the top two or three.
Will would like the Faculty Association to give their responses to the administrative evaluation. He would like to have it finalized by the end of the semester and have an instrument in place by the fall 2014 semester. Peter agreed to work with the faculty association on their responses.
Jim wants everyone to look at the evaluation. We need to decide is this good enough or do we need to adjust or tweak it in any way. Will stated once the committee approves it then the Governance Committee would need to approve it. Cheryl suggested the committee look over the evaluation and get their responses back to Jim by the end of the next week (February 28).

New Faculty Evaluation Update from Jim Lemons. Jim reported the new faculty evaluation process was going well. He has met with his faculty in the Business and Allied Health Division and stated everything went very well. Jessica suggested a mandatory training session for the process at next fall’s convocation. Other divisions are still doing the old forms. Linda suggested having a training but not make it mandatory. Jim mentioned the training session at Danville Community College may have been a waste of time. She believes not all faculty members will need training since the BAH division are already using the new forms. Will suggested having the session on the second day of convocation due to our SACS and QEP updates. He would like to have a faculty member and suggested Linda Mallory to head up the training session since she has used the new form. He suggested keeping goals simple and not make it so complicated.

New Business:
Community College Survey of Student Engagement (CCSSE) surveys from Cheryl Cunningham and Jessica Hogan. Cheryl and Jessica announced they had been looking over the Community College Survey of Student Engagement (CCSSE) surveys. They are seeing the different areas where the students are weak and strong. They will have a meeting on February 24 and will gather information to share with the committee. Jessica will send the files with this information to the committee members.
Gary asked if they had any information at this time which was determined we were in rank with medium sized colleges in 2013. Cheryl announced we were just below the mean from other colleges and Kris announced we were just below national norm. It was discussed what students are randomly picked for this survey. Will suggested students in a curriculum would need to do the survey. Lauren asked if workforce students were included. Joey and Kris stated that at this time only the credited students were considered in the survey.

Career Connections from Lauren Calloway. Lauren discussed the Career Connections through Work Force and wanted to make sure all faculty would let their students know of their services. Due to the construction on the college, Linda was unsure where the Career Connections office was located and exactly who would be able to use their services. The Career Connections office is for all students. Their location at this time is in the second trailer at the back of Amherst Hall. After the renovations of the college are complete, they will be moving to the area where the Police Department is now located.

 Agenda topics for next meeting:
·       Update from Kris on the Educational and Departmental Assessments Process
·       Update from Jim on the research of administrator evaluations
·       Update from Jim on the new faculty evaluation process
·       Any new business
Our next meeting will take place on April 1, 2014 at 1 p.m. in Room 5208.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:50 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Pam Reynolds
Back to top