Skip to Content
Committee Name: Evaluation and Assessment
Meeting Date: 3/31/2020 12:00:00 AM
Cynthia Deutsch, Francie Dye, Jason Ferguson, Jessica Hogan, John McCullough, Muriel Mickles, Kris Ogden, Pam Reynolds (Recorder), Kevin Riley (Alt. Recorder), Beth Shelton, Kathy Thomas, James Tuite (Chair), Ernie Wade, and Cindy Wallin
No members were absent.
Meeting Minutes from the February 18, 2020 meeting:

Jim Tuite asked if there were any changes to the meeting minutes from February 18, 2020. There were no proposed changes. Jessica Hogan made the motion to approve the minutes, and Muriel Mickles seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.

Approval of the Revised Governance Model (Kris Ogden)

Jim Tuite stated Kris Ogden had emailed a copy of the proposed amended College Governance Model with proposed revisions highlighted in yellow to all stakeholders about six weeks ago. Jim Tuite also sent a copy of the model as an attachment to the meeting agenda. Kris Ogden noted that most of the changes were from the realignment of the academic divisions, as the classification of the division heads as associate vice presidents. Jim Tuite asked if there were any other recommended changes.

Ernie Wade noted a typographical error on Page 14. The last word in the sentence before the second table was "movies" (instead of monies), and suggested revising it to "funds."

Jason Ferguson noted that the Business Lab (present in the document), is now known as the Amherst Hall Computer Lab.

Jason Ferguson was also concerned about the elimination of Workforce positions on several committees. Muriel Mickles suggested that we look into this further. Jason Ferguson, Kris Ogden, Cindy Wallin, and Muriel Mickles will meet to resolve this issue.

Jim Tuite asked for approval of the draft document pending resolution of the outstanding Workforce-related issues and other revisions discussed above so that the updated College Governance Model could be presented to the College Governance Council for their approval without further discussion by the committee.

Muriel Mickles moved to approve the document (pending revisions), and John McCullough seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.

Update on Evaluation and Assessment Processes (Kris Ogden)

Kris Ogden has proposed that CVCC forego the 2020 General Education Graduate Assessment (ETS Proficiency Profile), typically administered to all graduates during the Spring semester, because of the COVID-19 limitations. We have heard (unofficially) that SCHEV may be waiving the General Education Assessment Reports under the new GenEd Assessment Process for Spring 2020. We also received notice from SACSCOC that students who are currently in the review cycle will not have assessment results for Spring 2020. As long as no one object, that is the process CVCC will use this Spring. This deferment would also carry over to course-level assessments, and possibly permit using the prior year results. Kris Ogden will notify us if there are changes that require additional action.

Cynthia Deutsch asked about instructor/student course evaluations, Cynthia Deutsch is concerned about the validity of the assessments due to the change from face-to-face to online delivery modes as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Jim Tuite stated it would be unfair to faculty if students do not like having online classes and for them to evaluate faculty who may have been unprepared for the operational changes in the instruction method given such short notice. Kris Ogden will meet with Muriel Mickles and the division associate vice presidents to discuss this situation further.

Update on TransferVA process (Jim Tuite)

Jim Tuite announced that Patricia Parker, Project Director, VCCS & SCHEV, TransferVA, had sent out a summary on the current status of the TransferVA initiative in light of the operational changes resulting from COVID-19. The Committee members received the details of the accouncement before the meeting. Parker reported that all processes would either be "on hold" or voluntary until the Fall 2020 semester. Jim Tuite asked if anyone had any questions about the memo. There were no questions.

Selection of Evaluation and Assessment Committee Chairperson (Jim Tuite)

Jim Tuite announced he would no longer be on the committee after this meeting. Jim Tuite will call the meeting in August 2020, and the committee can select a new Chair at that time.

Jim Tuite asked Pam Reynolds if she would volunteer to continue as the committee's recorder. Pam Reynolds said she would remain as recorded for the committee.

Jim Tuite asked if there were any other questions before he moved to adjourn the meeting. Francie Dye asked what the norm for how many committees someone could serve on was. Jim Tuite advised that he would raise this issue at the next College Governance Council meeting.
None at this time.

Our next meeting will be in August 2020. The day is TBD.

Jessica Hogan made the motion to adjourn the meeting, and Kathy Thomas seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved, and the meeting ended at 1:30 p.m.
Approval of the revised College Governance Model at its next meeting on April 21, 2020
Resolving the issue of the number of committees one could serve at the next College Governance Council meeting.
Pamela Reynolds
Back to top