Skip to Content

2014-01-07

Faculty Association:  
  
Meeting Date:            1/7/2014
  
Agenda Items:
I.  Approval of Meeting Minutes – 11/05/13
There was unanimous approval for the previous meetings’ minutes.
 
II.  Open forum – Will Sandidge
Will Sandidge came to the meeting to ask the faculty what the college needs to look at.  He reiterated what he said at his last meeting with the faculty association that if something cannot be done, he will provide an explanation.  He also asked that if he has not replied to a faculty member’s email, the faculty member should follow up with a second email. 
 
A.  A question was asked about what the college was doing to address the appropriate number of full time faculty. 
      Will Sandidge responded that the PASS report on the workload within disciplines was run every year to justify addition or reduction of faculty numbers.  The chancellor’s plan for the VCCS is that there should be no more than 50% adjuncts within a discipline.  Full time faculty is in part determined by the available money.  In turn, the number of FTE’s determines the money the college has. Another issue related to this is that it is a challenge to find qualified adjuncts during the day.
 
B.  A question was raised that came up at a previous faculty association meeting, regarding the job description and duties for deans, along with the evaluation of deans.  Program coordinators and department coordinators have open duties until deans have defined job. 
Peter Dorman will be investigating this, and the Evaluation & Assessment committee is developing a policy and process for both the description and evaluation.
 
C.  A concern was expressed regarding the number of new hires on the police force and in Work Force when there is not enough funding for faculty.  
Will Sandidge explained that Work Force is funded through grants only; jobs and programs dissolve when the grants run out.  The changes in the police force are due to replacement of part-time employees with full-time employees.  This change in the police force was a commitment from the president to address the growing concerns about college and public safety.  More grants should be written by college to get additional resources for the college.  Will Sandidge indicated that less money will be coming from Tobacco Commission.  Another plan is to develop more credit classes by work force, as many of the Work Force classes are noncredit. 
 
D.  A question was asked regarding the articulation agreements.  It was suggested that CVCC have a designated person to analyze articulation agreements.  Some of the 4-year schools are very selective and nullify the articulation agreements for certain classes or discliplines.  It was noted that the VCCS Systems Office has no control over that. 
 
E.  A concern about communication was expressed.  Overall, communication between different levels at the college is improving, but in some areas there are no improvements.  A particular area of concern is between program coordinators and deans.  When faculty members have developed policies such as course pre-requisites, the upper levels of administration have not fulfilled those new policies leading to confusion about enrollment. 
 
F.  Many faculty are concerned about the computer replacement program.  It was suggested that the program be reactivated. 
Will Sandidge responded that a large part of the delay is due to lack of equipment trust fund money.  A faculty member responded that if there is no equipment trust fund money, then money needs to be allocated from some other source.  It was revealed that there is equipment trust fund money this year. 
 
G.  A faculty member expressed skepticism about the policy of class cancellations when there are insufficient students enrolled.  The college has determined that 9 students must be enrolled for a class to make, yet fewer than 9 students can still be profitable.  The cancellation is lost money.  If a small class is an essential class for a program then the cancellation is a particular problem.
Will Sandidge responded that deans and the vice president of academic affairs need to work harder to analyze classes.  Canceling is necessary when there are multiple sections, but may not be wise when there is only one section.
 
III.  Follow-up – Peter Dorman
A.  Department Coordinator duties/HR recognition
At a previous meeting it was mentioned that a description has been written for department coordinators, yet there was no recognition of those positions by the Human Resources Office.  Peter will investigate this.
 
B. Adjunct Evaluation Procedure.
A new adjunct evaluation process is being developed. 
The question was raised if adjuncts are receiving bad evaluations but are rehired, what is the point of the evaluation? 
It was also mentioned that the stringent evaluation is for new hires only, yet there are seasoned adjuncts that may not pass the new evaluation.  A question to consider is what counts as new with the policy, should all adjuncts be considered new under the new policy.  Will Sandidge is in charge of adjunct evaluation policy. 
A suggestion was made that the faculty association either as a whole or as an ad hoc committee could develop a policy for hiring, evaluating and rehiring adjuncts.  Tim Rhoads and Ernie Wade will investigate the protocol for how the faculty association might proceed with the college governance committee.
 
IV.  New Vice President of Faculty Association
David McGee has resigned due to an overburden of responsibilities.  Generally a person serves as vice president as an understudy president, then generally, they are elected to serve as president.  After that, the individual serves again as an outgoing vice president to mentor the president.  The main responsibility is attending the Vice President Staff Meetings to represent the faculty. 
 
Bob Moden was nominated.  Bob agreed to serve.
 
V.  New Business
A.  CVCC does not charge lab fees, yet students have to buy supplies which constitutes an unofficial lab fee, which becomes a surprising expense for the class.  Lab fees are opposed by chancellor across the VCCS.  A request was made to investigate a possible lab fee for certain classes.  Peter Dorman will make an inquiry
A work around was suggested to put the estimated additional costs in the course schedule so that students are aware up front. 
It was noted that financial aid students do not receive funds for it, which makes this a discriminatory policy.  However, if the supplies are sold by the CVCC bookstore, then financial aid can be used to pay for the supplies. 
 
B.  Suggestions for next CFAC representative.  Peter Dorman has served for several years and is happy to continue, but he is also willing to allow another faculty member to serve in this capacity for a 2-year term.
 
Recommendations to the College Governance Committee: 
 
Submitted by Jessy Hogan 
 
Back to top