Faculty Association Meeting Minutes- 11/3/15
- Muriel Mickles, Vice President of ASA, attended and expressed appreciation for faculty participation in all areas of the college. She expressed her opinion that the SAILS initiative was off to a great start, as well as her satisfaction that we now have a faculty member (Cheryl Cunningham) on the calendar committee. OER is moving now with Juville Dario-Becker leading the way. Muriel will be checking with division deans to ascertain faculty needs. Some concern was expressed to Muriel by faculty members present about the redundancy or possible ineffectiveness of SAILS, to which Muriel responded that it was a VCCS initiative and so we were obligated to comply; as well, we need to use the system for more than one semester to determine its worth.
- Constitution change: version one (the original wording) was chosen by vote.
- SAILS text change- Tom Sparhawk will send a message to Muriel for a specific meeting concerning SAILS. The edits that were seen in the faculty association meeting were the ones that Matt Poteat and Jessica Hogan got together and did. Jessica indicated that this was a protest document, but several other faculty members suggested minor changes.
- The Compensation and Benefits committee will have several things forthcoming for faculty consideration.
- OPR- Discussions are ongoing at the system level about whether faculty can buy into the VRS one-time.
- The work/life balance committee has developed a survey.
- The teaching environment committee is working on compensation and professional development.
For the brown bag series of 2015-2016 we will have one hour sessions on Mondays from 12:30-1:30 P.M. The topics will be a mix of culture, pedagogy, technology and other assorted subjects.For the brown bag series of 2015-2016 we will have one hour sessions on Mondays from 12:30-1:30 P.M. The topics will be a mix of culture, pedagogy, technology and other assorted subjects.
- There will be a faculty blackboard site made available to all faculty as a means of exchanging ideas, etc. The faculty association president will send an announcement when the site is ready.
- Totals for the employee recognition program:
1)Outstanding employee- $1250
2)Outstanding faculty- $750
- We are proposing an increase on the learning environment awards to $50 twice a month.
- The faculty association will be putting together a sub-committee to deal with the issue of associate instructor positions.
- Professional development funds total $52,000: $31,200 is available for faculty.