Faculty Association Meeting Minutes - 2/6/18
Lorenz Chan, Tim, Lorna Nelson, Cynthia Lofaso, Jim Tuite, Ernie Wade, Jessica Hogan, David McGee, Juville Dario-Becker, Rick Tyler, Linda Hobs, Marci Gale, Matt Latimer, Tom Sparhawk.
- Lorna briefly discussed the faculty reading group. Also a “bring your own book group.”
- Cynthia- OFA/LEA- two sets of awards. The Outstanding Faculty Award nominations need to be in by spring break.
- Meredith McLaughlin replaced Nancy Mitchell. There is no comprehensive list of folks with accommodations. She wants faculty to refer all possible cases to her, as she is on campus between 9-6.
- Chomps- Jessi Hogan has gotten many responses and has written up a report. There will be a meeting with Lewis Bryant as well as chomps management in two weeks.
- Parking- Russell is in the process of checking tags against decals for faculty vehicles.
- Reserved parking places- Russell suggests orange cones with names- must go before the president’s council.
- Discussion of posting syllabi for students prior to semester. Tom suggested a central coordinator for posting all syllabi. David M. made a motion that this issue go back to the student success committee for refinement.
- OER- Juville is asking for student names for a Washington Post interview. She also distributed a list of OER courses and is engaging students to enroll in OER sessions. She also raised the issue of what will happen after ATD grant concludes.
- Cynthia brought forward the issue of P-14 employees, who are significantly negatively impacted during the holidays as well as snow days. Because these employees are paid at an hourly rate, they suffer a severe financial burden during December and January with no pay coming in.
- Cynthia made a motion that P-14 positions be transitioned to part-time salaried positions with no benefits in order to better schedule their pay checks. The motion was passed.
- David raised the issue of the problem with the incomplete grade policy. Faculty are being inconsistent and are not following the policy on incomplete grades. This needs further discussion.