Facilities, Finance and Sustainability Committee
November 28, 2017
Members in Attendance:
1:00pm Amherst Hall Room 2205
- Ron Parker
- Beth Walkup
- Peter Dorman
- Rick Tyler
- Jeffrey Sydenstricker
- Dennis Phillips
- Thomas Turner
- David Farris
- Kervinie Alexander – was not in attendance but called to let me know that something had come up so she would not be able to make it.
- Finances are looking better for renovation. Most of the upfront money that has to be in place is there.
- There will be a meeting in the near future on what the perfect classroom should be.
- There will soon be new signage for the Early College program located on the Jefferson Forest High School campus.
- New signage is being worked on and looked into for main campus. Campus police would like to have digital signage for warnings.
- There is a city meeting to be held soon for the traffic lights and congestion. We are not sure of the date for this meeting.
- Speedbumps are being discussed for campus.
- Harvard Street name change has been voted on. Ron believes it will now be CVCC Way.
- Rick Tyler held a presentation on Monday, November 27th in room 2123 for the new theatre renovation that we are hoping to have done.
- Dennis Phillips is proposing a new 3 wheel program in Workforce. Can am will pay the part of tuition. Which is like a WCG. By taking a 3 wheel course along with a two wheel course the student could then get a M classification thus being able to ride both 2 and 3 wheel motorcycles. More importantly this would assist with student retention and their continued learning in safety.
- Ron reported that we are getting ready to replace a boiler in Merritt Hall. This boiler has become obsolete and we can no longer purchase replacement parts for it. The final cost of this could be between $30K - $45K. Ron is hoping this can be done over Christmas break while everyone is off.
- Renovations – waiting for VCCS to fund so we can hire architect. VCCS is looking for $1 million in startup funds. (Update – they have come up with about $800K.)
- New signage has seemed to be very helpful to students and inexpensive.
- MS4 pond is to have open bids 10/27/2017.
- MS4 audit 10/16/2017
- DEQ site visit 10/24/2017
- LED signs are being talked about for some of the campus.
- Recycling is going to start being hauled off to a local free recycling dumpster area.
- Replacing the Honeywell system is a work in progress.
- Rick announced that he will be holding a Brown Bag session on November 16th in room 2123 discussing the renovations. (Update – this was rescheduled and held on November 27th.)