Finance, Facilities and Sustainability
10/26/2021 12:00:00 AM
- Facilities still has a very good supply of PPE for distribution and all fall classrooms have been supplied. If you notice the supply of PPE for your classrooms are low or almost out, please enter an order in Inventory Direct, or contact Linda Roberts/Jennifer Dowdy with your request. In addition, we still have cloth masks available for staff and faculty. Please let us know if you need one while working on campus or if any other supplies are needed.
- The Cooling Tower replacement for Framatome is still in the works. We will let you know when installation is scheduled or when they are expected to start bringing materials in. This will affect the staff parking in that area.
- The HVAC Lab expansion project is getting closer to be sent out to bid. The plan is to divide the current 4,000 square foot HVAC Lab in Framatome into three different classrooms for the CTE program. The project will include the HVAC lab, and the addition of two multi-purpose lab classrooms, possibly one for electrical use, and one for future plumbing use. These classrooms will all be housed within the former HVAV Lab space. We will keep you posted as the project progresses.
- Bedford Hall Roof Replacement – This project is in the early drawings stage. A new roof is being designed for this building. Stay tuned for more details on this project.
- Merritt Hall HVAC Equipment replacement is in the discussion stages. The plan involves replacing the cooling system for the entire building. No new movement on the project at this time to report.
- The Amherst/Campbell renovation discussions are quiet at the moment. There is still a significant amount of planning and preparation ahead for this project. Construction is not expected to begin until Spring 2023.
- The Alertus outdoor alert system is being heavily discussed and starting to move forward. This is an alert system that will house several speakers outside around campus. This will be similar to the system at Liberty University that alerts to incoming weather or other emergencies.
- The touchless water fountain/ bottle filler stations have been ordered, but the lead time is quite long. We will make plans for installation once they are delivered.
- We have hired a new Grounds Supervisor to fill the position left when the previous supervisor took a job elsewhere. I am pleased to announce the hiring of Trevor Scruggs. Trevor brings a wealth of knowledge to the college and was Grounds Lead at the University of Lynchburg. We are excited for what he will add to our grounds team and to the campus itself.
- Speed Bumps – Facilities is working with the Police Department on their initiative to try to slow down traffic in lot #1 and the main road entering campus. The first stage was the addition of speed bumps for each location. We are working on additional safety features such as flashing lights/additional signage to encourage people slow down. Stay tuned for more updates.
- Sidewalk repairs – We recently replaced the sidewalk at the bottom landing behind Bedford Hall that leads up to lot #2. Every time it rained the sidewalk retained water and you had to roll your pants legs up to get through it. They removed the existing sidewalk, re-poured and re-sloped a new sidewalk so the water should run off of it now.
- We are doing a study for a possible sidewalk addition on the end of Amherst Hall, that will join the sidewalk that runs in front of campus near the bus stop. This sidewalk will run down the side of campus beside the road that leads to Facilities. This will ensure the students taking classes in Campbell Hall or Framatome will have a safe place to walk instead of walking in the road. This project is in the design stages right now and will be considered if everything can be worked out (design, budget, etc.).
- I will be out of the office for a couple of weeks starting Monday, November 8th. I am having “minor” back surgery. Please do not hesitate to reach out to the Facilities team if you need anything. I would ask that you reach out to Jennifer Dowdy or Linda Roberts first and they can direct your request as needed to the appropriate person within facilities. Chris Hines, our Facilities supervisor, will be here so do not hesitate to reach out if you need us.
- Classified and Part-Time staff have several activities going on for fall. Part-Time staff is holding a decorating contest for individual offices and departments. Judging will take place October 25th – 28th. Classified staff will be giving away spirit t-shirts for Halloween and every staff member can pick one up in the Student Center. This year’s theme is crayons, and everyone is invited to “join the Pack”. They would like for everyone to wear the shirt on Friday October 29th and meet in the Student Center to take pictures.
- Next Scheduled Meeting November 30, 2021, at 1 p.m. via Zoom.
None at this time
None at this time