Part-Time Staff Association Meeting October 26, 2017
Minutes 1:00-2:00 PM
1.Welcome & Introductions
Stephanie Keener from Classified Staff Association invited the PTSA to attend their first Happy Hour at O’Charley’s, scheduled for October 27, 4:00-6:00 pm. They plan to make this a monthly event that is open to all staff and faculty, so watch for future ones as well.
Sarah Jarrett, Mike Danos, Jennifer Onuffer, Michelle Fluker, and Kimberly Williams.
3.Review & Approval of Minutes from meeting on 9/14/17
Mike moved and Kimberly seconded. Minutes were approved as written.
No changes since last meeting
4. Committee Reports (Sarah)
- President’s Cabinet (Sarah) – 360 Evaluations are being sent out. Send your responses if you get one so that administrators get a broader understanding of their strengths and areas for improvement.
- Cultural Diversity (Sadashiva)
- Social Events (Michelle & Michel) – Will have a Winter Olympics Theme; luncheon will now be on Thursday, December 15, from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
- E2IT (Mike)—They are doing a survey of technologies; Blackboard will be changing
- Employee Recognition (Mary, Donna, OPEN)
- Facilities and Finance (Kervinie)
- Professional Development (Sarah) -- There will be an Extended Brown Bag Professional Development workshop on December 4. Watch for email and sign-up to attend. Watch for details soon about another spring opportunity.
- PR and Marketing (Mike, Kris?) – They are working on a Facebook policy and procedures to focus on the official college Facebook pages.
- Financial Aid Appeals (Rosaria)
- Annual Budget (OPEN)
- Evaluation and Assessment (OPEN)
5. Old Business
We still have some open positions to fill on Governance Committees. Please let Sarah know if you are able to step up and volunteer for one.
We still have an opening for our Recorder for the PTSA. Any volunteers?
Don’t forget to apply for Professional Development funds. While the fall deadline has passed, you can still be considered on a case-by-case basis. This includes professional organization memberships, conferences, etc. Be sure and read emails from “Professional Development” to stay in the loop on deadlines and opportunities.
Great ideas to make CVCC better – Any new suggestions?
For Convocation, can we live broadcast it (in addition to recording it) through Blackboard Collaborate? This would allow staff who can’t leave their desk to participate live as time permits and also allow them to type in a question during any Q and A that is offered. This would be a great way to allow live involvement in addition to the taped version after the fact.
6. New Business
Goal Setting for this year – What should be our focus this year?
Our focus will be on building community and camaraderie within the part-time staff. We would also like to help members be more informed about all aspects of the campus and plan to invite speakers from the “front lines” to join us at future meetings. Ideas of areas to include: Financial Air, Workforce, Dual-Enrollment, Early College, Great Expectations, Transfer Process, International students.
Social Event for us – When and what?
We will have food for our December 7 meeting.
Service Project-To be determined- Would anyone like to head this effort?
On hold for now until our numbers are back up. We will encourage staff to participate in the Salvation Army stocking project led by Classified Staff.
Fundraiser-To be determined – Would anyone like to head this effort?
On hold for now until our numbers are back up.
7. CVCC Engage—Campus information presentation on areas of interest to our group
Kimberly Williams with ODU Online provided an impromptu overview of what her role is. ODU Online is a degree completion program and she is located upstairs in Bedford Hall. All classes are offered online, in a WebX live format. Students in this program join live classes on the ODU campus online. They have many programs to which CVCC students can transfer upon completion here and they accept students with a 2.5+ GPA. This can be a great way for students to complete a 4-year degree from a large state university without relocating. She can also assist students with joining programs that may be partially completed online as well, with some residential time needed in Norfolk as well.
Next Meeting Dates – Mark your Calendars for Thursdays from 1:00-2:00 PM – Merritt 5142
December 7, February 1, March 15, April 19
Your officers for 2017-18: Sarah Jarrett (Chair), Jennifer Onuffer (Vice-Chair), Mike Danos (Treasurer) & VACANT (Recorder). Contact us anytime with questions, ideas, or concerns!