Skip to Content

2011-10-31

Minutes of the

President’s Staff Meeting

 
October 31, 2011
 
Minutes Approval:
 
Minutes of the October 10 and October 13, 2011 meetings were approved.
 
Enrollment Report:
Data As Of Tuesday (11/2/2011)
Fall
2010
2011
Percent
FTE
2,797.47
2,753.87
-1.56%
Headcount
5,454
5,416
-0.70%
 
 
SACS Institutional Effectiveness Recommendation Update:
Joey reported on the CS 3.3.1.1 (Institutional Effectiveness: Education Programs) and stated the third step in the assessment program has been completed, and the data will be available in December. He reported the College is on track with the faculty being very involved.
Joey discussed accreditation software and stated he had previously recommended WEAVEonline but after more investigations, discovered that it does not include a planning module at this time and the software is also very expensive. He suggested purchasing Compliance Assist! as it is less expensive and does have a planning module. He stated the cost is $14,690 for the first year and then $11,752.16 for each year after. David and John P. will decide which account will fund this purchase. Joey stated January will be the month chosen for implementation of this software.

Joey distributed and discussed a proposed change in the Student Catalog (pages 27 and 28) which pertains to Assessment Requirements for Graduation making the assessment tests mandatory for all graduating students. The President’s Staff approved the change as written and stated this can be sited for the upcoming graduation.
Joey discussed the status of the employee survey and stated it is in hard copy form at this time with completion of the survey by the end of the semester. John C. requested Joey to bring the survey questions to the next PS meeting for their review.
 
Agenda Items:
 
The President’s Staff discussed the importance of having Travel Requests completed and approved prior to the actual travel date. John P. stated as a state employee pre-approved requests help clarify any legal issues regarding liability or insurance. He also stated state regulations require a pre-approval for any travel in excess of $500.00, for hotel rates over the per diem up to 150% of the per diem rate, and for the method of travel. John P. stated that lately he has been receiving too many unapproved request for travel forms attached to travel reimbursement vouchers which means that pre-approval was not obtained. He also stated that in the future if this continues, reimbursement amounts could be lowered. John C. asked that John P. send out an “everyone” email concerning this.
 
Geoff stated the Campus Awareness, Response & Education/Threat Assessment Team (CARE/TAT) would like for the President’s Staff to consider requiring all employees and students to have a CVCC ID card. He stated the CARE/TAT feels this would be a good way to identify students verses non-students. He stated at this time only 33% of students possess a card but the Team recommends 100% participation. The President’s Staff discussed numerous ways to encourage students to obtain an ID card which included the following:
·         Including the information about ID cards in the acceptance letter a student receives after enrolling
·         Have more information provided during the first week of school (possibly bringing ID Machine to the Student Center)
·         Add ID card information in the new adjunct faculty online orientation
The President’s Staff discussed the difficulty of requiring contractors and vendors while on Campus to wear an ID. The Staff also discussed incentives which would encourage the students to acquire an ID. John C. asked for Don to supply a list of current area discounts available to CVCC alumni and to see if those discounts can be applied to students as well.
 
David stated that last week the College experienced a computer virus outbreak but thankfully it wasn’t as widespread as it could have been. He stated in working with faculty and staff to remove the virus, it became clear that CVCC’s Continuity of Operations (COO) is vulnerable under the current mode of operation. David stated if all the PCs in an office are running the same Operating System and at least a minimal set of applications, they are all susceptible to the same viruses.  If all the PCs in the office become infected, it could make the office out-of-service until all the PCs are cleansed. If the PC can be cleansed with antivirus software, the interruption is troublesome, but not catastrophic; it is when antivirus software can’t cleanse the system that problems get worse. In this case, the only option is to reimage the PC which destroys any information stored on the local hard disk. This is when COO may be jeopardized and faculty and staff may become frustrated. David stated the hit to the College’s COO will be if an employee has business informationstored locally on his/her PC and no other copy. The IT Department has setup “my documents” redirection to minimize this. The frustration problem is a culture problem.  He stated many faculty and staff think of the PC in their office as their personal tool, and they load personal information on it. David stated he did not have a problem with this, except when they don’t want IT to reimage their PC because of the fear of losing their personal data. David stated these vulnerabilities can be minimized through the use of roaming profiles and virtual PCs.  These technologies separate the user data from the PC, thus allowing the PC to be reimaged without the user losing business or personal data. He stated the user can make a conscience effort to bypass these technologies and store information locally.  David stated the users will have to be educated, if the College decides the risk is great enough. He stated everything comes with a cost, and if roaming profiles are implemented, every time a user logs into his/her PC, the data will have to be downloaded. This isn’t a huge performance hit provided the user profile doesn’t become too large. David stated virtual PCs will have the limitations of roaming profiles, plus the user will lose access to play a DVD which is another cultural issue, but with VPCs the College has an N+1 design to have additional PC’s on standby in the event one or more become infected. David asked if the Staff feel that a wide-spread virus infection will threaten the College’s COO to point where further investigations are merited into these technologies. John C. stated he College must make every effort to minimize the risks involved.
 
David discussed flash drives and stated this is yet another risk management/culture question. He stated the average cost of compromised personally identifiable information (PII) is $214.00 per file, and $56,000.00 per device. He stated the IT department has found some flash drives containing sensitive information, and MOAT informs users of the hazards of compromised data on those devises. David stated the College has a network that can be used to share information, especially for staff and administrators. He stated IT has the ability to prohibit the connection of flash drives to computers, and R/W DVD drives removed, but he is not advocating this. He stated he just wants everyone to know the risk exists. The President’s Staff suggested at Spring Convocation for someone from IT speak at all of the faculty meetings to define what sensitive information is. The Staff asked David to send an email to everyone concerning this and to also add this information to the adjunct faculty orientation.
 
The President’s Staff approved for Don, John P., David, and George to attend the Lynchburg Chamber’s Pancakes and Politics event on December 6.
 
The President Staff approved for John C., David, and George to attend the Lynchburg Chamber’s Business at Breakfast on November 9 at the Summit.
 
Jim Lemons stated he chaired an ad hoc committee composed of representative faculty and staff, to develop a plan to distribute the Professional Development funding of $50,000 equitably throughout the college community for the year 2011-2012. He stated the committee recommended the funding should be equally divided amongst the full-time employees (CVCC has 154 full-time employees) which resulted in an allotment of $325 for each. Jim stated funding for those employees who elect not to use their professional development portion will be redistributed to those whose needs are greater. John C. stated, in the future, employees will be asked to apply for professional development support and have a representative committee review applications and recommend funding for projects that advance the mission of the College.
 
John P. distributed and discussed the Budget/Expenditure Report as of October 11, 2011.
 
 
Divisional Reports:
 
George reported a Region 2000 Engineering Career Fair will be held on November 8 from 1:30 – 4:30 p.m., an Engineering Open House will also be held on November 8, and Virginia FIRST Lego League Lynchburg Regional Tournament will be held on Saturday, November 12, from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
 
Jim Lemons (Geoff had to leave the meeting early) reported the College has completed interviews for the library position, and the history, English, and engineering faculty positions’ interviews are scheduled for this week and next week.
 
John P. reported the College is in process of filling the Vice President for Workforce Development and Continuing Education. He stated the Search Committee has selected candidates and will be interviewing in the upcoming weeks. John P. also reported he is in the process of advertising the HR Director’s position. 
 
Don reported a new WSET ad for the College has been created with kudos going to Jill Markwood and Donna Hobbs for their fine job. He also reported the College is looking to adapt a new logo and a new image, and he will be meeting with the Classified and Part-Time Associations to discuss this with them.
 
David demonstrated the new online class schedule and all of the new features.   
 
John C. reported he submitted to the VCCS on Friday information to qualify all CVCC full-time employees for a 2% bonus to be distributed in December. He stated the information submitted was very impressive of the College and included CVCC’s participation in the backroom financial aid support and federal student loans. John C. stated he had every reason to believe the College will be approved for the bonus, and he will send out information to “everyone” as soon as he receives it.
 
John C. reported, he along with Jonathan Whitt and Greg Sullivan, had met with all but one of the area school superintendents (Campbell County superintendent’s meeting is scheduled for next week) concerning a regional STEM and CTE for their juniors and seniors located here at CVCC. He stated the superintendents are very enthusiastic about establishing this program as it would serve a great need in Region 2000. John C. stated he would like to see this program (either one-half or full day) begin in fall 2013.
 
John C. stated he spoke with Muriel Mickles concerning the restructuring of the College Governance and stated she had good response from the College Governance surveys thus far.
 
John C. requested all of the President’s Staff to please take time and look at the organizational structures in their areas and the entire College’s. He requested they look at how to redistribute the finances and determine what is needed to create an ideal organization for their area not only in personnel but also in function without limits on the resources. John C. requested the Staff also look at the business processes to see if some overlap, and be prepared to discuss this after the VP for Workforce interviews are completed. He stated the entire College’s organization charts will be available for them to review. John reminded the Staff to make decisions on the best interest of the students.
 
The meeting adjourned at 2:40 p.m.
 
The next President’s Staff meeting will be held on November 21, 2011.
Back to top