Skip to Content

2014-03-10

Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

March 10, 2014

 
Minutes Approval:
 
Minutes of the February 24, 2014, meeting were approved.
 
Attendees:
John Capps
David Lightfoot
Kris Ogden
Ruth Hendrick
Dianne Sykes
Will Sandidge
X
Irene Wheeler
Leticia Forster
Linda Daye
Marcella Brown
Mike Bradford
X
Jana Fedele
Peter Dorman
X
John Poole
 
 
 
 
 
 
Names highlighted in yellow were absent.
 
Enrollment Report:
Data As of Sunday (3/9/2014)
Spring
2013
2014
Percent
FTE
2,325.33
2,240.87
-3.63%
Headcount
4,407
4,353
-1.23%
 
 
SACS Institutional Effectiveness Recommendation Update:
 
Kris stated the Compliance Certification will be mailed on Friday, March 14, to SACSCOC. She stated the College has identified three areas that will not be in compliance and her office will immediately begin the transition to address those inadequacies. She stated feedback will be received after the off-site review in May on the document, and then the College will begin a focus report.
 
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
 
None at this time.
 
Agenda Items:
 
Draft Policy for Adding Prerequisites or Co-requisites (SANDIDGE)
 
Will distributed and discussed the proposed Policy for Adding Prerequisites or Co-requisites. Mike requested an addition of “after being approved by the Curriculum and Instruction Committee” to the next to last paragraph which stated “If registration is not in progress, any prerequisites or co-requisites added by CVCC departmental faculty may be switched from unenforced to enforced, or enforced to unenforced. Prerequisites or co-requisites may not be switched or changed once registration has begun.” Mike’s proposal would read,” If registration is not in progress, any prerequisites or co-requisites added by CVCC departmental faculty may be switched from unenforced to enforced, or enforced to unenforced after being approved by the Curriculum and Instruction Committee. Prerequisites or co-requisites may not be switched or changed once registration has begun.”
Kris requested the title be changed to state Policy for Adding Course Prerequisites or Co-requisites.
 
Will stated once the policy is approved, he will work with deans and program heads to add any additional prerequisites or co-requisites to courses with a completion date of April 11 which is the start of fall 2014 registration.
 
David made a motion to accept the proposed policy with the two changes listed above with Peter seconding the motion.
 
Being no further discussion, the President’s Cabinet approved the motion unanimously.
(Will will email the policy with the changes to John P. to be added to the Employee Handbook.)
 
Divisional Reports:
Vice President of Institutional Advancement 
Mike reported he and John C. met with Lyn White and Jim Erdly from Flowserve last week, at which time, the College was presented with $10,000 to help meet its obligation of one-half of the $300,000 awarded by the Tobacco Commission. Mike stated about $62,000 more was needed to meet the College’s obligation.
 
Mike stated after attending the Disasters Preparedness Meeting, he realizes the necessity of taking control of and improving CVCC’s FaceBook page even though the College does not have a marketing coordinator at this time. He stated he will look into hiring an ad agency to recreate CVCC’s page and then put procedure in place for the department that will manage the updating.
Director of HR
Leticia reported the Human Resource Department will be traveling to J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College on Wednesday to begin a two-day training session. She stated Hollye will be available in HR to help where needed.
Vice President of Information Technology
David stated the bench marking process is still ongoing with the validation of the data.  
David discussed PC replacement and stated the full-time faculty eligible for a new PC/Surface/laptop will be replaced this spring and staff in the summer.
John C. requested for David to give an update on Safety and Security from the information technology viewpoint. David stated the internal call boxes will be replaced soon with the new call boxes having the same interface as the code-blue boxes outside. (David stated the code-blue boxes have the ability to initiate a call as well as broadcast.) He stated the College hopes to put call boxes in the classrooms once funding is available. David stated, for now, the Alertus boxes will remain. He also stated the College’s camera system is challenging and better functionality is needed but that will have to wait until funding is available.
Dean of Institutional Assessment and Strategic Planning
Kris reported on the new Annual Budget process and stated the deadline for the Departmental Planning Coordinators to submit budget requests will be extended from March 31 until April 7.
Classified Staff Association
Linda stated the Classified Staff approved the proposed Professional Development policy that was submitted by Will via email.
Part-Time Association 
Marci Brown, in Jana’s absence, stated the Part-Time Staff requested clarification on how the average 29-hour per workweek was configured. John C. stated when he met with the Part-Time staff last week, one question that was asked concerning the 29-hour workweek, was if it was “ironclad” or was there flexibility by averaging the hours worked over a span of time. Leticia stated the 29 hours per week can be averaged over a calendar month of time provided prior approval is obtained from the Vice President or President.  
Vice President of Workforce Solutions & Community Education’s Report
Ruth reported Cynthia McCoy has been hired as the Workforce (only) Marketing Coordinator. Ruth stated Cynthia will be responsible for developing the Workforce FaceBook and also a marketing plan for the Workforce Division. She also stated she is in the process of hiring an internship coordinator.
Ruth reported Brian Davis has resigned from the Workforce Investment Board.
Faculty Association 
Peter reported the Faculty Awards and Recognition policy will be sent to the College Governance Committee for approval at their upcoming meeting.
Will stated a draft policy for Professional Development has been sent to the faculty and staff for their input. He stated one change involved was increasing the tuition reimbursements rates by using Virginia Tech as the model instead of James Madison University. Will also stated this will be presented at the College Governance Committee for approval.
Vice President for Finance and Administration’s Report
John P. was absent.
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Services
Will reported he met with Appomattox County Schools’ principals and guidance counselors to discuss the career technical education courses provided by CVCC. He stated a perception there was that CVCC was taking away from some of their programs, and the meeting was to show this was not the case.
Will also reported he, along with Jeff Laub and some of the math faculty, traveled to the Bedford Center to meet with Mac Duis and discuss offering a higher level of math courses to their Early College students.
President
 
John C. stated he and Mike attended the VCCS Legislative Reception last week but stated the legislators had to return to session that evening and could not attend. John C. stated that Governor McAuliffe did attend the reception and talked about how he really supported the community colleges.
 
John C. also stated he attended an Open House for Machine Tool and Machine Tool and Quality with B&W representatives last week.
 
John C. reported he participated as a speller in the Presbyterian Homes & Family Services and the Family Alliance’s Executive Spelling Bee last Friday and remained in the contest about three-quarters through.
The meeting adjourned at 1:55 p.m.
The next President’s Staff meeting will be held on April 7, 2014.  
Back to top