Skip to Content

2014-06-30

Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

June 30, 2014

 
Minutes Approval:
 
Minutes of the June 16, 2014, meeting were approved.
 
Attendees:
Will Sandidge
Mike Bradford
Kris Ogden
Peter Dorman
Ruth Hendrick
John Capps
Irene Wheeler
Leticia Forster
Ed McGee
 
 
Jana Fedele
David Lightfoot
Dianne Sykes
John Poole
 
 
 
Names highlighted in yellow were absent.
 
Enrollment Report: 
                                            
As of Monday, June 30, 2014
Summer
2013
2014
Percent
FTE
598.87
489.80
-18.21%
Headcount
1,846
1,622
-12.13%
 
 
Fall
2013
2014
Percent
FTE
1,508.27
1,602.67
+6.26%
Headcount
2,254
2,360
+4.70%
 
 
SACS Reaffirmation and Budgeting Process Update:
 
Kris stated the 2013-2014 graduate assessments have been completed with a 93% participation rate. She stated these results (available soon) will be used for educational program and departmental assessments. Kris stated the 2014-2015 assessments will begin next week for the summer graduates.
 
Kris reported on departmental planning and stated as today is the end of this fiscal year, the College is nearing the end of the first cycle of the newly approved process. She thanked everyone who was involved as this will support the affirmation process and the focus reports. Kris stated agenda items listed for today’s meeting such as goals and budgets will also support the Institutional Effectiveness process.
 
John C. stated he was pleased with the recent Student Satisfaction Survey and stated improvement was evident in most areas.  
 
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
 
None
 
Agenda Items:
 
Goals Supporting Achieve 2015 (CAPPS)
 
John C. stated the Goals Supporting Achieve 2015 document that has been distributed does not contain the Workforce Goals but for today he stated he wanted to approve these goals in principal which will guide the College’s future efforts. He stated the VCCS adopts goals each year for Achieve 2015, and then each college aligns their goals with the VCCS goals. John C. stated this year, the College reached out to everyone including the Local Board members for input for this document. He stated some goals were mandated and others were more specific to CVCC and its mission.
 
Discussions included how to prioritize the goals pertinent to their departments, how to quantify goals that are vague, need funding resources to meet goals to hire marketing person which would create/implement a marketing plan, etc.
 
Peter made a motion with Will duly seconding to approve the Goals Supporting Achieve 2015 with noted revisions as written.
 
Being no further discussion, the President’s Cabinet approved the motion unanimously.
 
Letterhead (Altavista Center’s info) (SANDIDGE)
 
Will discussed CVCC’s current letterhead which includes all centers, addresses, and contact numbers in the footnotes. He stated with the location change of the Altavista Center, the information is now incorrect. After much discussion on various ways to correctly include Altavista in the footnotes, the President’s Staff decided to remove all Center information and allow the Marketing Committee to make the final decision when the members meet in the fall semester. John P. will ask Denise to update all letterhead located on the resources page of the College’s intranet.
 
(David stated he will put a message on the Altavista Center’s phone number stating it is no longer a working number.)
 
IT Security Audit (LIGHTFOOT)
 
David reported four recommendations were received during the latest IT Security Audit.  He stated the first three recommendations were received on May 27, and then on June 24, an additional recommendation was received after the APA audited the VCCS and identified a requirement the Internal Audit had not addressed.
 
David stated he is discussing these recommendations today because of their impact on the College’s operations. He stated Recommendation #1 is “conduct vulnerability assessments” which is a new requirement with some of the aspects being introduced this year. He reported a few colleges were piloting a system to perform internal assessments, and CVCC purchased the system as soon as the pilot was complete, but an audit recommendation was still received. He stated this impacts the College resources as the annual costs for the system to perform internal scans is $8,000 with the estimated cost to perform an external scan being $4,500. David stated all vulnerabilities must be resolved and documented.
 
David stated Recommendation #2 is to “monitor off-site network equipment”. David reported although not in the write-up, the auditor stated this was a result of the next recommendation.
 
David reported on Recommendation #3 and stated it is to “Ensure local administrator privileges are only granted when required.” David stated this is a huge item as currently all of CVCC’s faculty have administrative privileges, as well as many student computer labs, and some staff and administrators. He stated the College is currently looking at how other VCCS colleges have implemented this, and then a policy will be recommended. However, David stated the faculty and student PCs cannot be addressed until the fall. David stated he had discussed this with Will and had assumed this would be handled through the E2IT Committee. Will stated he and Peter agreed that the Faculty Association needs to have some input on this. John C. stated both the Faculty Association and the E2IT Committee need to work together. David stated he knows this will be a burden on faculty but is also an audit finding that can’t be disregarded. John C. stated the College has no choice but to comply as this is policy. Irene suggested to review other colleges and see how they handle it.
 
David stated the late comer is Recommendation #4 “Use Two-factor Authentication”. He stated the VCCS Internal Auditors audited eight colleges and the Auditor of Public Accounts (APA) audited the VCCS. He stated of these nine, one was compliant, two did not use Virtual Private Network (VPN), and the remaining six were non-compliant. He stated the VCCS was asked other questions about VPN during the timeframe but an actionable response was not received.  He stated after this was identified by the APA, CVCC will be working with the VCCS to pilot a system that will be to their standard. David stated the question asked is whether or not an employee’s home PC can be used for VPN access because the PC could be infected with a virus and/or not have current updates and patches. He stated he spoke with Dave Harrison, VCCS Chief Information Security Officer, and he agreed this is a vulnerability and will be working to update the VCCS with this requirement. David stated the College will need to make this change soon, and will require anyone whose job necessitates off-campus VPN access to have a CVCC-issued laptop. He also stated VPN could be accessed through smart phones, iPads, and other devices as well and that must be addressed as well. David stated as more information is placed in the “Cloud” the need for VPN will decrease.
 
Budget Prioritization (OGDEN)
 
Kris discussed the Budget Prioritization document developed by the Annual Budgeting Committee and stated when there are available funds, the list should be consulted and funds used for the top priorities. John C. stated this is to serve as a blueprint to guide the College’s budget but that management priority may mandate a deviation. He stated a deviation must be well-thought out and not done lightly. John P. stated SACS is looking for a process that has inclusive input on budget planning and this document does just that.
 
John P. made a motion with Will duly seconding to approve the Budget Prioritization document as written.
 
Being no further discussion, the President’s Cabinet approved the motion unanimously.
 
Budget FY ‘15 (POOLE)
 
John P. distributed a proposed Budget for FY ‘15 and discussed the items listed. He stated because of the usual low summer enrollment, new hires could not be included in the budget. John C. stated CVCC is at the bottom of the VCCS list of summer enrollment which amounts to a net decline of $200,000 in revenue. He stated if the College had just been even with last summer’s enrollment, faculty positions and a marketing position could have been filled. John C. stated retention and customer service is key to maintaining a steady enrollment. He stated however, thanks to John P., the College does at least have a balanced budget.
 
David made a motion with Irene duly seconding to approve the Budget for FY ‘15 as written.
 
Being no further discussion, the President’s Cabinet approved the motion unanimously.
 
Divisional Reports:
 
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Services
Will reported the Altavista Center is scheduling two classes per night, Monday-Thursday from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m., and those classes will be held in the Altavista Combined School. He stated Jessica is creating a flyer to advertise the classes in the Altavista Journal.
Will reported the Distance Education offices will be relocating to the rooms once occupied by the CAER, and the QEP’s Writing Lab will be housed in the present Distance Ed offices. John C. complimented Ed, Connie, and Gayle for their willingness to relocate.
Vice President for Finance and Administration’s Report
John P. reported the Greater Lynchburg Transit Center’s (GLTC) free bus pass program for CVCC students will continue for the upcoming year.
John P. also reported CVCC will soon be entering into a shared services agreement with Virginia Western Community College (VWCC) to provide procurement services on behalf of CVCC.  He stated as part of the implementation many key CVCC employees will be trained to make purchases under $5,000 on the Virginia e-procurement system (eVA), and all purchases over $5,000 will be made by VWCC. He stated when fully implemented, all purchases over the $5,000 will be entered into eVA for VWCC to complete. John P. stated in the meantime starting July 11 for all purchases over $5,000, the Departmental Purchasing Request (DPR) will be scanned and sent to VWCC to complete. He requested as the College goes through this transition, to please keep $5,000+ purchases to emergencies and essential purchases only.
Vice President of Workforce Solutions & Community Education’s Report
Ruth reported Workforce is busy completing its Annual Workforce Report. She stated this report involves other divisions as well as Workforce, and will require assistance and information from them. 
President
 
John C. stated last Wednesday, Mr. Jeff Lacker, President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, visited CVCC’s STEM and Machine Tool Lab, and afterwards, led a round table discussion with area manufacturing leaders. He stated Mr. Lacker also spoke at the Lynchburg Chamber’s Business Leaders Breakfast on Thursday and was very complimentary of CVCC during his speech.
 
The meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting will be held on August 11, 2014.  
Back to top