Skip to Content


Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

January 12, 2015

Minutes Approval:
Minutes of the December 1, 2014, meeting were approved.
John Capps
Mike Bradford
Kris Ogden
Peter Dorman
Will Sandidge
Ruth Hendrick
John Poole
Ed McGee
Jana Fedele
David Lightfoot
Dianne Sykes
Russell Dove
Names highlighted in yellow were absent.
Enrollment Report: 
Data as of 1-12-15
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
As approved at the College Governance Committee meeting on December 3, 2014, the Part-Time Staff Association’s request for Education Achievement Awards was approved by the President’s Cabinet.
Agenda Items:
Divisional Reports:
Part-Time Association
Jana stated the Part-Time Staff Association met last week with Mike Bradford as guest speaker to discuss the student emergency fund. She stated the Association decided to raise funds for this cause.
Jana also stated two $75 awards for professional development were to be given out to part-timers and Mike volunteered to draw the names. The lucky winners were Audrey Hudgins and Joy Adams.
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mike stated his office has awarded an additional 20 spring scholarships.
Mike also stated the implementation of the new scholarship software continues now into Phase 2.
Mike discussed the Machine Tool Campaign (CVCC’s match of $298,000 with the TIC’s grant) and stated the Timken Foundation had donated $25,000 for this project. Mike stated contributions for this campaign totals $285,000, and if necessary, he feels the Foundation would fund the remaining $14,000. Mike also reported The Greater Lynchburg Community Trust contributed $7,800 for CVCC’s Great Expectations program. 
Vice President for Information Technology’s Report
David stated a compromised VPN account (through a portable wireless connection) caused all the computer problems last week and continues to be investigated. He stated at this time, there is no reason to believe any information was compromised. David stated for now the “Virtual Private Network” connection (VPN which allows employees access to their files away from Campus) will be turned off even though it will affect employees that work from home, but the risk is believed to be too great until more safeguards are in place. He stated a two-factor authentication will be added in the future as an additional security method. (David compared this to an ATM card which requires a card and also a PIN to use.) John C. asked that this continues to be investigated and seek the VCCS for their expertise.
David reported on a positive note, 100 PCs were installed on Campus.
Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris reported she, Will, Muriel, Cynthia, and Lana continue to work on the responses related to the QEP recommendations made by the SACSCOC team.
Kris stated IE is working with Jack Freeman on obtaining a Title III grant. 
Kris stated the Institutional Effectiveness processes are being continued that demonstrate compliance. She reported the Compliance Assist software has been renewed for the upcoming year.
Kris reported the College’s planning process is continuing and gearing towards the strategic planning cycle.
John C. announced that he petitioned the Chancellor for permission to forego a competitive search and to appoint Kris as the permanent Dean of Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Planning. He stated the Chancellor approved his request, and Kris has accepted the appointment. (John C. stated he will email “everyone” on Campus with this information.)
Chief of Police/Director of Campus Security
(At the beginning of this meeting, John C. welcomed Russell Dove as a member of the President’s Cabinet.)
Russell reported he continues to work on Emergency Preparedness by conducting drills, exercises, and evaluating the performance and participation.
Russell discussed the recent (potentially dangerous person on campus) drill and stated there were four specific objectives for conducting the drill which were:
·       Evaluate Public Safety Staff’s performance
·       Evaluate entire Campus’ performance and participation
·       Evaluate updated lockdown software
·       Review current alert system
Russell stated no one was provided prior knowledge regarding the specific time or the scenario for the drill. He stated he informed the dispatcher that a report had been received of a potentially dangerous person on campus, and the dispatcher activated the E2 alert notification system. Russell stated some areas of concern included a door propped open in Merritt Hall, code blue devices and TV monitors not displaying the drill message for the duration of the drill, and with no additional outside notification opportunities, people continued to arrive on CVCC Campus during the drill. Russell stated that several potential solutions are being explored to address the areas of concern.
Classified Staff Association
Ed reported the Classified Staff Association did not meet last week. 
Vice President for Finance and Administration’s Report
John P. reported the canopy project is almost complete with just the lights left to be installed.  He also stated the calming crosswalks on Harvard Street have been completed. John stated the new road signs were purchased by the city and installed by VDOT.
John P. stated the HR manager’s search will be completed soon.
John P. reported he will distribute a financial report at the next meeting. He stated purchasing training and p-card issuance has been a slow process but he is pleased with the shared services with VWCC.
John P. discussed a new process with entering book purchasing data for financial aid students. As soon as the books are purchased, the amount will be entered into the student’s account immediately instead of a day or two later. He stated this helps eliminate the student overcharging to his/her account.  
Faculty Association
Peter stated the Faculty Association met last week and discussed the new Faculty Evaluation Plan. He stated CFAC will have a presentation at New Horizon’s this spring to discuss the plan in more detail.
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Services
Will reported as of today, CVCC’s FTE enrollment shows an increase of 4.27 compared to last year and is one of only two community colleges showing an increase. (The other is New River Community College.) He stated the median for the VCCS is -4.74. Will stated one of the reasons for CVCC’s increase is the On Ramp program which has 29 students (25 students are credit-4 are non-credit), with 100% retention rate from fall 2014 to spring 2015. Will stated another reason is the shared services with NOVA which has 92 CVCC taking these classes resulting in 17 FTEs. Will stated the Foundation had also helped with the increase by awarding scholarships to more students, and Financial Aid has been working hard to make aid available to students.
Will also discussed the student success grant and stated Judy Graves is working with Mickey Paige, Jack Freeman, Kris Ogden, Muriel Mickles, and Joy Adams to help write this grant. He stated this grant must be submitted by February 9. 
Will discussed the baseball team and stated CVCC had not been successful in creating one for this year.
John C. stated he (along with Dr. Brabrand and Laura Hamilton-Beacon of Hope) traveled to Washington, DC, in December to participate in the Education Summit that will be held at the White House with President Obama. He also stated he attended the SACSCOC Annual Meeting (with Will and Kris) and a HIRE Education Conference in December as well.
John C. discussed the possibility of closing the Amherst Center and stated visits were made to all officials in Amherst County to discuss the reasons. John C. stated Delegate Ben Cline (Amherst representative) who is opposed to closing the Center, stated in a recent news article that he will make it a priority for receiving additional funding to keep the Center open. John C. stated no decision has been made pending on obtaining this additional funding.
John C. stated he met with Scott Brabrand and Laura Hamilton to discuss applying for an i3 Grant (Investing in Innovation) which is very similar to the Title III grant. He stated the plan is to try and develop career pathways and career and technical education that would begin in high school and continue here at CVCC. He stated this grant is due in April.
John C. reported he met with John Kenney of Trax International to discuss possible training for their simulations for power plants operations and possibly other opportunities.
John C. stated he met with Will and Kris last week to discuss the VCCS’ new 2021 plan which has only one goal and that is to triple the number of credentials awarded statewide from 38,000 to 114,000. He stated no guidance was given on how to achieve this goal and stated it is being left up to the individual colleges on what to do. He stated during the spring of this year, the CVCC will engage in a number of planning exercises to develop strategies on how to achieve this goal.   
Vice President of Workforce Solutions & Community Education’s Report
Ruth was absent.
The meeting adjourned at 2:11 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting will be held on January 26, 2015.
Back to top