Skip to Content


Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

December 14, 2015

Minutes Approval:
Minutes of the November 2, 2015, meeting were approved.
John Capps
John Poole
Mike Bradford
Tom Sparhawk
Dianne Sykes
Muriel Mickles
Ruth Hendrick
Kris Ogden
Ed McGee
Sarah Jarrett
Will Sandidge
David Lightfoot
Russell Dove
Jana Fedele
Names highlighted in yellow were absent.
Enrollment Report:
Data As Of Monday (12/14/2015)
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
Changes to the Cougar Awards
Approved at the 11-30-15 CGC meeting:
1.     Present all employees that receive service awards with a $100 Check and a framed certificate. We will frame the ‘state’ certificate for faculty and classified employees, and for the part time employees, we will frame the new certificate designed by Jill Markwood. Approximately, 41 employees will get service awards at the December 17th luncheon (29 faculty/classified staff and 12 part-time staff).
2.     Requesting an increase in the budget of approximately $820 ($20 per frame)
3.     IRS regulations specify that the college must include the amount of the gift cards in employees' earnings statementsAll checks are subject to payroll taxes
If approved this would be implemented December 17, 2015, at the Holiday Luncheon when service awards will be presented.
Russell made the motion to approve with Tom seconding.
The motion carried unanimously.
John stated he wanted to formally commend Debra Short and the Employee Recognition Committee for all their hard work in strengthening and enhancing the recognition of CVCC’s employees. He stated employees are the College’s strongest asset, and their achievements need to be recognized. John C. stated he also wanted to compliment the work of the original Committee on Committees members in advancing the College.
Agenda Items:
50th Anniversary for CVCC (BRADFORD)
The President’s Cabinet discussed the upcoming 50th Anniversary of CVCC and whether to use the year 1966 or 1967 (when students first attended classes) as the founding year. Mike was asked to further investigate this.
Inclement Weather Policy (SANDIDGE)
Will presented changes to the inclement weather policy.
Policy now:
Impact of a Two-Hour Delay
For Students:
All morning classes scheduled to begin prior to 10 a.m. are cancelled. All Classes schedule to being at or after 10 a.m. will meet as scheduled.
For Faculty/Staff:
Faculty should report and be prepared to teach any classes scheduled to begin at or after 10 a.m. or arrived two hours after their normal arrival time (whichever is earlier). Administrators/staff should report to work two hours after their normal arrival time.  
Proposed policy:
Impact of a Two-Hour Delay
For Students:
All morning classes scheduled to begin prior to the announced opening of the College are cancelled. All classes schedule to begin at or after 9:30 a.m., Tuesday and Thursday and 10 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will meet as scheduled.
For Faculty/Staff:
Faculty should report and be prepared to teach any classes at or after the announce opening of the College. Administrators/Staff should report at the announced opening of the College.
Muriel made a motion to approve with David seconding.
The motion carried unanimously.
Divisional Reports:
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mike reported that CVCC was not awarded the Title III nor the Trio grants (nationwide grants that are very competitive) but did receive feedback on how to improve next year’s submittals.
Mike reported that he and Ken Bunch have been discussing the alumni project and stated a spreadsheet exists containing information on 17,000 CVCC alumni but not sure if this information is correct. Mike reported they are considering working with Harris Connect, a company that works with organizations to help gather and maintain the data needed to build, reinforce, and maintain bonds among their alumni. He stated Harris Connect usually works with four-year colleges but has offered to work with the larger VCCS community colleges for free. Mike stated Harris Connect will begin with a sample of names by sending a postcard asking alumni to call an 800-number and update their information. (Being there were no objections, Mike will contact Harris Connect.)
Mike stated $103,000 from the fall scholarships awarded was not used but is not being reallocated for spring. He reported $60,000 has been re-awarded which will benefit about 40 students.  Mike stated this will continue until all is awarded. John C. stated one community college claimed they were able to award Early College students scholarships from TIC. Mike stated he will look into this as he had been told that high school students were ineligible. 
Mike stated the employee campaign will begin its “kickoff” at the January Convocation.
Vice President for Information Technology
David reported focus groups will be meeting in January (after classes begin) concerning the website redesign. He stated a tentative time table for completion will be 12-18 months after meeting with the focus groups.
David stated, for the first time, Equipment Trust Funds (ETF) will be available to spend during this physical year and in January 2016, purchasing will begin.
David reported for the past six weeks, students have had trouble logging on with their directory account. William Osborne is working with Microsoft and the VCCS to correct this problem.
Vice President of Workforce Solutions & Community Education’s Report
Ruth reported she is spending most of this week visiting with manufacturers to develop new curriculum in manufacturing for the Rapid Train programs. She stated a Rapid Train Welding class will begin at the end of January. Ruth reported Workforce is moving forward with hopes that the Chancellor’s request for $50 million for non-credit classes gets funded in the General Assembly. Ruth discussed the On Ramp grant and stated she felt the College had a good chance of getting this.
Ruth stated funding is available for CVCC employees and would like to know what types of additional knowledge or skills that would be helpful for staff/faculty that they would want to attend or be strongly encouraged to attend. She suggested CPR, Microsoft, leadership, diversity, etc. Muriel stated she felt diversity training would be very beneficial to all on Campus.
John C. stated he met today with Senator Steve Newman to ask for his support and to serve as a co-patron of the Governor’s bill for the non-credit funding. He also stated he will meet with Delegate Scott Garrett tomorrow and Delegate Terry Austin on Wednesday with the same agenda.
Part-Time Association
Sarah Jarrett (in Jana’s absence) reported that Mike Danos is the new treasurer.
Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris reported her department is busy with student graduate assessments as the fall semester comes to an end. She also reported surveys have been emailed to “everyone” on Campus that support various initiatives within departments and the Great Colleges to Work For ad hoc committees. She thanked all that participated.
Kris reported she and Kevin Riley attended the SACSCOC Annual Conference last week in Houston, Texas, as this allows them to stay current with any changes that will occur.
Chief of Police/Director of Campus Security
Russell reported he will be attending the graduation of two criminal justice students that went through the Police Academy. He stated both students graduated near the top of their class and have been hired by local police departments.
Russell also reported the re-advertisement of the hybrid emergency management coordinator/law enforcement produced a strong candidate and hopes to hire soon.
Classified Staff Association
Ed reported discussions continue on the Great Colleges to Work For survey. He stated he has talked to Classified Staff who seemed to feel more connected.
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Will reported on the Great College to Work For initiative and stated lots of good things are happening. He stated once all recommendations have been presented, the Campus community need to be able to review them. One suggestion was to use Communication Central as the venue. 
Faculty Association
Tom reported the Faculty Association have revised a final exam schedule for the future semesters. He stated several faculty have expressed apprehension on graduations being held at Liberty University due to their recent concealed weapons statement and questioned of alternative locations.
Vice President for Academic and Student Services
Muriel reported Sarah Jarrett will assume the duties for the Job Information and Career Advisor. Sarah will also continue to work with the On Ramp credit students through the spring semester.
Muriel stated Michelle Fluker has been hired as the career coach for Amherst County High School.
Muriel reported applications for the Dean of Student Success position have been received, and the Financial Aid Coordinator’s position has closed.
Muriel stated the 2016-2018 CVCC catalog is being updated and revised for printing.
Muriel discussed marketing strategies for the spring semester and stated a late registration will be held on January 9, 2016, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m.
Muriel reported she attended her first SACSCOC Annual Conference and found it to be very informative. She also stated she recently attended the Town and Gown meeting which was held at Lynchburg College.
Muriel stated she, Kris, Jack (Freeman) and Michael (Farris) are working on a proposal letter for high school students to be allowed to receive financial aid which will be submitted by February 1, 2016.
Muriel reported she is in the process of compiling the Spring Convocation Agenda.
John C. reported his travels continue as he attended a Cyber Security meeting in Woodbridge, the SACSCOC Annual Conference, and the HIRE Education Summit.                                    
Vice President for Finance and Administration’s Report
John P. was absent.
The meeting adjourned at 2:40 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting will be held on February 1, 2016.
Back to top