Skip to Content


Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

February 1, 2016

Minutes Approval:
Minutes of the December 14, 2015, meeting were approved.
John Capps
Ruth Hendrick
Kris Ogden
Ed McGee
Muriel Mickles
David Lightfoot
Russell Dove
Sarah Jarrett
Will Sandidge
Mike Bradford
Tom Sparhawk
Dianne Sykes
Names highlighted in yellow were absent.
Enrollment Report:
Data 2-1-16
Chief Dove introduced Jeffrey Sydenstricker, CVCC’s new Law Enforcement Office/Emergency Management Coordinator, to the President’s Cabinet.
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
None at this time.
Agenda Items:
None at this time.
Divisional Reports:
Vice President for Academic and Student Services
Muriel reported the following programs were approved at the January Board meeting:
·       Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Management-Specializations: Medical Coding and Compliance/Medical Scribe
·       Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science Technology
·       Biotechnology
Muriel stated CVCC has applied for acceptance in a financial aid experiment through the Department of Education. She stated, at this time, dual enrollment students cannot apply for financial aid as they are not high school graduates (which is a requirement to receive financial aid). Muriel stated if accepted into the experiment, CVCC will be able to offer financial aid to those low income students who are in eligible programs such as General Studies, Early College, or STEM.  She stated acceptance into this experiment is highly competitive but she remains hopeful for CVCC.
Muriel also stated the College has submitted a VCCS sub-grant which will fund text messaging to students who have completed half of their programs but are no longer taking classes to remind them to finish their programs.
Muriel discussed CVCC’s Open Educational Resource project (OER-classes that require no or low-cost books). She reported in fall 2015, there were 12 OER classes offered, and this spring 7 additional classes are being offered. She stated the goal is to offer the General Studies and Business Administration programs as complete OER degrees. Muriel stated at the end of this semester, the General Studies program will need only six more OER classes, and Business Administration will need only nine more.  
Muriel reported the Dean of Student Success and the Financial Aid Coordinator positions are in the process of being filled.
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mike reported he has been working with Denise to create a detailed expense and revenue statement for the College. However, he stated for January 31, 2016, statement only expenses will be included.
Mike discussed the conversion from the Commonwealth Accounting and Reporting System (CARS) to the new accounting system, Cardinal, and stated the transition seems to be going okay.
Mike stated the College is still working on the Foundation statement for December 2015. He stated the new foundation accountant, Lisa King, is working with Dan Chipman on this.
Mike stated Jack Freeman worked with Muriel, Kris, and Michael and applied to participate in a new institution-based experiment with the U.S. Department of Education (DOE): Experimental Sites Initiative (ESI) – Dual Credit Enrollment. He stated while Jack feels very good about CVCC’s application, this will be very competitive.
Mike reported that Ken is working with a firm that is scheduling (senior management-traditional and non-traditional students-staff) focus groups to discuss the College’s web re-design and an all-inclusive survey.
Mike also reported that Ken (who is CVCC’s PIO: Public Information Office) attended a meeting on using social media in an emergency situation. He also stated Piedmont Community College wants to have a meeting with about seven area community colleges to discuss their marketing strategies.
Mike reported on scholarships and stated $700,000 was awarded in fall and what was not used, was re-awarded for spring semester (about $65,000). 
Mike reported this is the last week of the Employee Campaign, and he will email everyone on Campus to remind them they still have time to contribute.
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Will stated Margaret Leary from Northern Virginia Community College was here last week to discuss the cybersecurity program and the courses to be offered for this program. He stated Jim Bell will head up this new program for the Business and Allied Health Division.
Will also reported the process continues for the Vice President for Finance and Administration position.
Will reported on the Great College to Work For initiative and stated reports will be presented tomorrow at the CGC meeting. Will stated the recommendations will be listed on Communication Central where everyone will have the opportunity to comment on them.
Will extended a special thanks to Russell, Denise, Dan, and Tom for their support with announcing the recent College closings.  

Part-Time Association
Sarah Jarrett stated the Part-Time Association will be meeting next week.
Chief of Police/Director of Campus Security
Russell reported he was glad to say the hybrid emergency management coordinator/law enforcement position has been filled.
Russell stated with that position filled, the following can now be focused on:
·                Developing a crisis communication plan
·                Updating disaster management protocols
·                Update CVCC’s COOP
·                Updating CVCC EOP to include:
·       A plan to deal with students’ disabilities
·       How to conduct a mass evacuation
·       Conducting training simulations
·       Providing training presentations/videos prior to scenarios

Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris reported her department submitted CVCC’s gainful employment disclosures on time which was January 31. She stated thanks to Kevin and the IT Department, the disclosures are listed on the College’s website.
Kris stated the first IPEDs report for this year is due on February 10. She reported as soon as this is completed, she will be working on departmental planning and budgeting. She stated reporting must continue annually to remain compliant. She stated she will also be working with the faculty through the governance process on enhancing the student course evaluations. 

Faculty Association
Tom reported everything is going well. He stated one problem with the VCCS mandated award program is getting nominations for the Learning Environment Awards. Tom stated he has even reached out to students for nominations through email. He stated he is still working on the compensation plan for the awards. John advised using an internal marketing campaign and asked that Mike get Ken to talk with Tom on how to proceed.

Classified Staff Association
Ed reported the Classified Staff will meet next week.

Vice President for Information Technology
David reported, at fall convocation, plans were discussed to change classroom projection systems from analog to digital (HDMI). He stated the faculty were surveyed to gain an understanding of what classroom technology is currently being used and what new technology the faculty would like. He stated 51 responses to the survey was received and those responses and recommendations will be shared at the CGC meeting tomorrow.
David stated IT continues with daily support of WES which has been challenging. He also stated they are working with facilities on the Honeywell Energy Management System.
David reported on implementing new infrastructure and stated William Osborne just completed moving a backup system to a new technology which eliminates the need for the third-party utility application the College has relied upon for years. He stated this change provides better performance at lower costs.
David stated for the past two years, CVCC has made the Top 10 Digital Community College Survey and reported that survey will be sent out soon for this upcoming year.
David stated the College has had lots of audio/visual events and some have been high-profile. He stated since Thomas Turner, the primary audio/visual person is part-time, the IT Department has to rely on other techs when he is not available.

Vice President of Workforce Solutions & Community Education
Ruth reported Elizabeth Narehood has been hired to temporarily fulfill the position of the Workforce Solutions and Community Education Coordinator. Ruth stated Elizabeth has a background working with summer camps; therefore, she will be coordinating the Summer Academies program for CVCC (most will be taught by CVCC faculty and staff) and other educational programming.
Ruth stated with the increased workload related to WES, Workforce is in the process of hiring a full-time administrative office assistant which will replace the part-time position.
Ruth reported Workforce’s marketing position will be advertised soon and that person will be remain solely responsible for Workforce marketing but will be housed under Ken Bunch. She stated another position that will be advertised soon is a part-time On Ramp Coordinator for non-credit programs. Ruth stated this position is grant-funded.
Ruth discussed a proposal from the Chancellor being presented to the General Assembly affecting Workforce is funding for students in non-credit credentials. She stated usually the ones needing the rapid train programs are the ones that cannot afford the cost of that training. Ruth stated there are no Pell Grants for this non-credit classes. She reported 19 other states (not Virginia) are funding the community college training programs that lead to industry-recognized certifications at the non-credit level. She stated she discovered that North Carolina is investing more than $92 million a year on their non-credit programs (short-term certifications). She stated in North Carolina, 120-200 hour instructional programs cost the individual participant a maximum of $198, and the short-term programs cost even less. She stated at CVCC, a similar non-credit, rapid-train program would cost the student over $3,000 because all costs have to be covered and passed on to the students. She stated there is no income from the state to cover the costs. Ruth stated the direction of Workforce depends on whether the General Assembly approves this proposal.
Ruth stated a credentials’ workgroup (Workforce and Academic) will be created to look at CVCC as a whole to forward the movement on increasing credentials.

Vice President for Finance and Administration’s Report
Position vacant.

John C. distributed information on the VCCS Resource Funding Distribution Taskforce Metrics Data Collection and FTE enrollment comparison charts. He reported in the past, the amount of funding each college received was based exclusively on the number of students enrolled but stated beginning 2016-2017, the VCCS will introduce a new performance-based funding model of which 12% of the general funds will be based on the extent of how well the students succeed according to a series of pre-defined metrics. He stated some of the criteria will include how students fair in completion of college-level English and math, retention rates from fall-to-spring semesters and from fall-to-fall semesters, the progress students make (complete at least 12 credits during first year of study and 24 in the second year), number of students transferring, and ultimately, the number of credentials awarded. He stated in the year 2020, the performance-based funding percentage will increase to 20%. John C. stated he is encouraged by this new funding model, as CVCC ranked #5 in a preliminary model and the College should take advantage of this as it tries to help every student succeed. He stated the Awards Performances Funding Measures should play a role in how counselors advise their students in course sequence. John C. stated the more deliberate colleges take advantage of these metrics, the more successful their students will be and the more funding the colleges will receive.   
The meeting adjourned at 3:45 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting will be held on February 29, 2016.
Back to top