Skip to Content


Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

May 23, 2016

Minutes Approval:
Minutes of the April 11, 2016, meeting were approved. 
Names highlighted in yellow were absent.
John Capps
Ruth Hendrick
Kris Ogden
Ed McGee
Muriel Mickles
David Lightfoot
Russell Dove
Sarah Jarrett
Will Sandidge
Mike Bradford
Tom Sparhawk
Dianne Sykes
Enrollment Report:
Data As Of Monday (5/23/2016)
CGC Consent Agenda Items:
Social Committee Request:
Add Culinary Arts Program Director as a permanent member of the committee
Roles and Responsibilities for the College Governance Council
Office of Institutional Effectiveness facilitate/oversee the operation and maintenance of the Governance to enhance better communication by adding the following duties:
·       Updates/changes to the model that comes through the CGC
·       Ensures that committees’ minutes are posted within two weeks of the meeting
·       Updates and publishes annual meeting calendar
·       Updates and publishes committee membership roster based on input from constituency groups
·       Establish the Committee on Committees as an Ad Hoc committee
College Support for Part-Time Staff
Need to clarify in writing the College and supervisors’ support for part-time staff to participate in the Governance Model of CVCC though constituency groups as well as governance committees.
E2IT Request
E2IT Committee request that CVCC cease the use of student Roaming Profiles at the end of the spring, 2016 semester and encourage students to utilize cloud storage for their files.
Faculty Award Program Change Request
Add the following:
·       Be an active participant in the committee structure of the college, or be in a position that makes active participation impossible.
·       And may receive an award only once in any three-year period.
Compliance Committee Request
Establish an Institutional Review Board Handbook and policy (which will reside in the Employee Manual) that applies to all research that would utilize CVCC students, faculty, staff, resources, or data, and is hot conducted directly by CVCC for the primary purposes of internal decision-making and institutional effectiveness.
Russell made a motion with Muriel duly seconding, to accept all of the above CGC Consent Items requests as written. The President’s Cabinet unanimously approved all six motions.
Agenda Items:
Web Redesign (LIGHTFOOT)
David showed a preview of the College’s web redesign and asked for the Cabinet’s approval before presenting it to the College community.
Muriel made a motion with Russell duly seconding, to accept the viewing of the College’s web redesign. The President’s Cabinet unanimously approved the motion.
Divisional Reports:
Vice President for Academic and Student Services
Muriel reported the College has been officially notified by the U.S. Dept. of Education, that it has been accepted and approved to participate in a new institutionally-based funding experiment for Pell Grant awards specifically designed to benefit dual enrollment and early college programs for local area high school students. She stated there were only two colleges in Virginia to receive this grant.
Muriel also reported the College received another grant, Achieving the Dream Open Educational Resources (OER), in consortium with five community colleges. She stated the consortium will receive $400,000 to continue the project.
Part-Time Association
Sarah stated the Part-Time Association will meet on June 16 to brainstorm agenda items for the upcoming year.
Chief of Police/Director of Campus Security  
Russell reported Security had two open positions-one full-time and one part-time.
Russell reported he is meeting with Lynchburg officials today to begin the planning process for the College’s full-scale emergency exercise. He stated plans are to schedule this event during the 2017 spring break.
Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris distributed and discussed the Student Overall Satisfaction Survey which showed a summary comparison between 2014 and 2016. She stated this information will be helpful to the departments when they evaluate their progress based on actions they have implemented or give guidance to future actions.
Classified Staff Association
Ed reported the executive committee has met and brainstormed objectives for the upcoming fall meetings.  
Vice President for Information Technology
David reported Kathye Herndon will begin on May 25 as the Program Administrative Specialist for IT, and he has begun the search for a part-time support person.
David stated he will be attending the Tech Council meeting on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. He stated one action item (as a result of a recent leak of information) is to place a ERP firewall in PeopleSoft’s AIS, SIS, and HR which would result in a two-factor authentication (code and password) for users. David stated he feels this item will be approved.
Vice President for Finance and Administration’s Report
Lewis reported the College has received the VCCS Resource Distribution Model and stated it looks favorable but that depends on three things—tech fee funds, general workforce funds, and the central appropriation that are used to fund the employee raises will not be distributed until August 16. Lewis stated the raise information is interesting as an article in the News and Advance reported the 3% pay raise scheduled for state employees could be delayed or lost if Virginia does not have the revenue. He stated this is probably the reason behind holding the funds until August.
Lewis stated traditionally, the College must pay 40% of the employee raises from internal funds and 60% comes from the state. He stated that 40% was designated from tuition increase which is an increase of 2.6% but with CVCC’s FTEs/enrollment declining each year about 2%, he stated this negates most of the tuition increase monies. He stated the College also has some new expenses from the shared services ($120,000 for BlackBoard increase for Financial Aid Help Desk plus other costs which total around $200,000). Lewis stated he will present the information in its entirety at a later meeting.
Lewis stated his department is advertising for a Business Manager (to replace Dan Chipman) and for an administrative assistant (to replace Kathye Herndon).
Lewis stated an emergency item request for the College’s unrepairable air conditioning system. which will cost $240,000 to replace. He stated the VCCS has agreed to allocate this amount from emergency funds.
John complimented Lewis on his work on CVCC finances and stated this will be a difficult/tight budget year.
Vice President of Institutional Advancement
Mike was absent.
Faculty Association
Tom was absent.
Vice President of Workforce Solutions & Community Education
Ruth was absent.
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Will was absent.
John began by extending his compliments and congratulations to all that helped with graduation and especially to the graduation committee as he considers this one to be the best since he has been here at CVCC.
John stated Lynchburg College has initiated a “Grow Your Own Teachers” program designed to motivate local students to become quality teachers serving local schools. He stated the students will attend CVCC for the first two years.
John discussed summer enrollment and stated CVCC is down (approximately 4.5%) in comparison to last year.  He stated while the College is not doing as well as it would like, enrollment is better than the VCCS average.
John stated he has asked Will to take on a new assignment. John stated Will has been working on cyber security and energy technology initiatives but will begin examining every criteria listed in the performance-based funding model to learn where CVCC is being successful and where it is not. John stated this is an open-ended assignment, and once the areas are identified that need improvement, he has asked Will to work with the members of the college community to develop remediation mechanisms for improvements.
The meeting adjourned at 10:30 a.m. The next President’s Staff meeting will be held on June 6, 2016.
Back to top