Skip to Content


Minutes of the

President’s Cabinet Meeting

November 11, 2019

Minutes Approval:
Minutes of the October 14, 2019, meeting was approved as written.
John Capps Chris Bryant Russell Dove Will Sandidge Sarah Jarrett
Muriel Mickles David Lightfoot Randall Franklin Cynthia Deutsch Dianne Sykes
Lewis Bryant Kris Ogden          Elizabeth Narehood Mary Zoccola  
Name(s) highlighted in yellow were absent.

Enrollment Report:
Data As Of Today (11/11/2019)
  Fall 2018 Fall 2019 % Change
FTE 2,261.67 2,158.60 -4.56%
Headcount 4,044 3,807 -5.86%

  Spring 2019 Spring 2020 % Change
FTE 875.93 758.00 -13.46%
Headcount 1,300 1,113 -14.38%

CGC Consent Agenda Items:
Add 3rd Student to Cultural International Committee
The CGC approved at their October 15, 2019, meeting the request to add a third student to the Cultural International Committee and stated it should be a permanent membership with voting rights.
Adoption of the Open Educational Resources (OER) Policy (Faculty Association)
The CGC approved at their October 15, 2019, meeting the OER policy as presented and where the policy would reside.
Muriel made a motion with David seconding for the President’s Cabinet to approve both items as requested.
The motion was approved unanimously by the President’s Cabinet.
Agenda Items:
TAT Membership (DOVE)
Russell stated the Threat Assessment Team (TAT) would like to add the Community Connections Coordinator, Philmika Reid, as a member.
Muriel made a motion with Lewis seconding to add Philmika to the TAT.
The motion was approved unanimously by the President’s Cabinet. ls
Divisional Reports:
VP of Facilities and Finance
Lewis reported Ron Parker, Facilities Manager, is retiring at the end of December.
Lewis reported the renovation architects, SFCS, will hold meetings once more on November 21.
Lewis stated Market at Main, CVCC’s new food service is reporting strong sales.
VP of Information Technology
David reported he has met with Accounting and Admissions and Records to demonstrate the proposed new telephone system and will be meeting with Security and the Classified Staff on Wednesday.
Part-Time Staff Association
Sarah reported tomorrow donuts and coffee will be provided to the students along with a game of “Name that Tune.” She stated the Part-Time Association is partnering with Muriel’s office and Student Activities on this event.
Sarah reminded everyone of the Career Job Fair scheduled for November 21.
John stated he met with Dr. Joshua Puzey on Friday (alumnus from CVCC) and he stated in his meeting with the students, he had asked what the best thing about CVCC was and the students replied it was the teachers. Dr. Puzey stated he asked what the worse thing was, and they replied the lack of community and the lack of opportunity to interact with other students. John stated the activity planned today addresses that issue.
Campus Police/Security
Russell reported plans are to have the Comprehensive Safety and Security Audit (using K12 checklist) completed by January so he can present it to the Board at their January meeting.
Classified Staff Association
Mary reported David will come to a meeting on Wednesday to discuss the proposed phone system. She stated the Christmas Parade and “Toys for Tots” were two of the upcoming projects.
VP for Student and Academic Affairs
Muriel reported she was out of her office last week attending an EAB conference with Kimberly French and Elizabeth Narehood. She stated they are bringing back lots of ideas that can be used here at CVCC. Muriel stated they found out that CVCC is further ahead than was previously thought and was asked questions on how the College did certain things. She stated CVCC will be hosting an EAB Summit sometime in the future. 
Muriel reported she also attending the ASAC meeting that had lots of information of the goings on at the VCCS.
Muriel stated the College will be expanded its foodbank. She stated she and Philmika will be traveling to VWCC to see how theirs is situated.   
Director of the Title III Grant
Elizabeth reported a requirement of the Title III grant is to determine how well the MALL is preforming. She stated students (math students who were 18 years or older) were emailed an awareness survey to rate their satisfaction of the MALL, and last week a survey was also conducted in the Mall. 
Elizabeth stated she had received approval of the College’s goal edits that needed to go in the annual report. She stated she had received the first draft of the external evaluator’s report and stated she had the staff to review and provide feedback of the report. She reported the edits were sent back to the evaluator.
Elizabeth reported the process of an endowment challenge (working with the Foundation to provide matching funds for student scholarships) had begun which starts in year two.
Director of Human Resources
Randall reported he was out of the office last week attending a very intense Threat Assessment Team (TAT) meeting.
Randall stated the Department of Labor (DOL) has made some changes to the overtime exemption threshold. He stated, in 2016, the threshold was raised from $24,000 per year to $46,000 per year. He reported a lot of CVCC employees were switched from exempt to non-exempt for overtime but then the day before Thanksgiving break the DOL nullified that rule. Randall stated those employees were moved back to exempt. He reported the DOL has revised the exempt threshold to a more reasonable rate-$35,568 per year or $684 per week. Randall reported at this time, there is no employee from the College that will be impacted by the new rule.
Randall reminded (and will send out an email) everyone that the performance evaluations are due and must be in no later than November 30.
Faculty Association
Cynthia reported, at the last Faculty Association meeting, there was much discussion on Navigate, mid-term grades, early alerts, and progress reports. She stated Kimberly French and Evan Abatecola will meet at the upcoming faculty meeting to discuss how to best streamline these processes to become more effective.
Cynthia stated much discussion involved the progress reports being due too close to the withdrawal date. She stated students did not have time to try and improve grades or decide to drop the class.
Cynthia stated the mid-term grades were discussed as to what makes them more or less effective. She stated they are more effective if they are followed through making the students aware of their grade.
Cynthia stated she and Muriel are moving forward to finalize the faculty advising pilot which will include David McGee, Ernie Wade, Jim Tuite (ask Steve Perry), and herself.
John reported the recent town hall meeting had good participation. He stated the fall’s enrollment had not changed in a significant way and is now looking toward the spring semester. John stated he hopes to see a relative increase in enrollment from fall to spring with all the resources that have been devoted to this retention effort. John stated there was an article in the EAB daily newsletter that reported the colleges that had the greatest gain in enrollment and retention are those that invested a greater budget to the student services area just as CVCC has done. He stated thanks to the Title III grant for making this possible. He stated it is discouraging that the spring enrollment is trailing behind last year’s but encouraging that a greater number of fall students have enrolled in spring.
John mentioned Dr. Joshua Puzey’s visit to CVCC and stated Dr. Puzey pitched an idea for an NSF grant he wants to apply for. He stated this grant would identify 10-15 community college students who would come to William and Mary to participate in a summer internship. John stated he alerted Dr. Puzey that William and Mary and UVA are two of the most challenging colleges on the transfer front. Dr. Puzey stated he will speak to his dean about the NSF grant. John invited him to return to CVCC and speak at the spring convocation to all the faculty.
Randall stated to maybe connect Dr. Puzey to Chris Lee from VCCS as he is a graduate from the College of William and Mary.
John asked Elizabeth and Muriel to share some of the takeaways gained from their EAB conference. Muriel stated the importance of faculty advising was stressed and how to get everyone involved, and Elizabeth reported there was a push for structure and strategy, timelines, and how to deploy it and the value of resources available in the collaborative community.
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Will was absent.
Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris was absent
VP of Institutional Advancement
Chris was absent.
The meeting adjourned 1:49 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting is scheduled for November 25, 2019.
Back to top