Skip to Content

2020-04-27

Minutes of the
President’s Cabinet Meeting
April 27, 2020

 
Minutes Approval:
Minutes of the April 20, 2020 meeting were approved as written.

Attendees:
John Capps Chris Bryant Jeff Sydenstricker Will Sandidge Sarah Jarrett
Muriel Mickles David Lightfoot Randall Franklin Cynthia Deutsch Shannon Hines
Lewis Bryant Kris Ogden        Elizabeth Narehood Mary Zoccola  




Name(s) marked out were absent.
Enrollment Report: 04/27/20

 
CGC Consent Agenda Items: None
Agenda Items: None
 
Divisional Reports:
President
John Capps reported on the CARES Act and the general guidelines. First, the funds cannot be used for non-credit students.  Secondly, no student can receive CARES Act funding unless that student has a FAFSA on file. In addition, the funding has to be directed specifically toward expenses incurred because of instruction disruption. In the previous meeting, an option offering 25% of the funding reserve for an emergency fund for students who couldn’t pay rent, had transportation problems, or food insecurities. John stated that he learned last week, those elements don’t qualify for CARES Act. The funding is for educational expenses incurred during the pandemic. A group met last week and discussed the possibility of eliminating the emergency funds altogether and distributing all the funds upfront to students who are taking less than half time load and to other students who are taking six credits or more. If this option is chosen, the students that are taking less than six credits could get as much as $400 and students who are taking more than six credits could receive up to $850. 
John asked the cabinet to approve this approach, as long as there is no additional information given by the Department of Education. Muriel Mickles made a motion, with Will Sandidge seconding to accept the motion.   
The motion carried unanimously. 
 
VP for Student and Academic Affairs
Muriel Mickles reported the new grading system is up and running.
Muriel stated that the VCCS marketing tool, “College Anywhere”, is scheduled to open by the end of April. Training will be held this week for navigators. Brittney Cochrane and Raylene Cope will represent CVCC.   
John added that summer enrollment numbers are low. As of today, enrollment is down 26%. This marketing tool should help push enrollment for online classes this summer.
 
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Will Sandidge commented that he had been following what’s going on with the college and is impressed with everyone’s contributions. He stated that the faculty has gone above and beyond during these circumstances.
 
VP of Facilities and Finance
Lewis Bryant reported that the local funds budget is ready for the Local Board to review and approve. He stated that he had to cut the student publication budget, which hasn’t been used in the last four years. He said that in the past, the full allocated budget for online tutoring wasn’t used, that budget has been decreased. He stated that summer faculty pay for six or eight credits is ready for review. He also stated that the preliminary state budget came in on Friday, April 24th.
John added comments about the summer pay options. The first option will provide full pay for the first six credits and overload pay for anything over that. This first scenario would save the college about $77,000. The second option is full pay up to eight credits and overload rates for anything over. This would save the college about $36,000. A final decision should be made this week after further review of the budget. 
 
VP of Institutional Advancement
Chris Bryant reported a board call was had with board chair and committee chairs. He stated the board is initiating a new approach on how goals are looked at and how those goals are accomplished.  Within the next couple of weeks, the committees will meet and the board will meet.
Chris stated that with the help of Patti’s group, new funds were found that can be used for non-traditional marketing. There will be a marketing campaign with WSET, YouTube, and social media which will engage students to promote summer and fall enrollment.  The kickoff should be in about three weeks.
Chris reported that the website will change again Monday, May 4th since this is the beginning of the fall enrollment campaign.
The next website change will be May 11th, which is graduation week. A graduation tile will be added to celebrate graduates. This will be a classy viewbook for students to see their names under their division/areas.
 
Director of the Title III Grant
Elizabeth Narehood acknowledged David and the IT team for their work in ordering computers for the Title III project. The computers are now on campus.
Elizabeth said she is continuing to track the appointments since transferring to a remote environment. There was an increase in advising appointments. She spoke with Patti and Michael’s team to ask if tracking appointments in a face to face format was still a good way to track what is happening in a remote environment. She met with the counseling team on Friday, April 24th and received great feedback. There is additional data that should be tracked now that classes are online. 
Elizabeth pulled data regarding part-time versus full-time faculty and if it could be impacting retention. She stated that full-time faculty has been maintained throughout the years even through enrollment decline.
 
VP Information Technology
David Lightfoot reported on the development of Communication Standards, which includes Zoom, is on-going.  The group met last Wednesday and Friday. A draft will be widely circulated for review and comments.
David stated the recommendation for the new standard, to limit changes during the current semester, be effective no earlier than May 15th.
David commented that during Wednesday’s meeting, he asked about the Zoom security changes that were made and was told Zoom made the changes—not the Systems Office. David suggested that be communicated, but has not happened yet.
 
Director of Human Resources
Randall Franklin reported that he received the process from the VCCS on requesting exceptions on the hiring freeze. The positions are classified and wage employees only. Agency hiring exception request forms need to be submitted by Wednesday, 4/29. Faculty positions and classified positions that are grant funded are not included in the hiring freeze. There are several openings that may qualify. Randall to set up a separate meeting to discuss this further.
Randall stated that his team has been working on the Cardinal project.
 
Campus Police/Security
Jeff Sydenstricker reported nothing much has been going on around campus. He stated he has been working with the VCCS office regarding updates/changes needed for the COOP plan.  He also said the EOP name has been changed to the CEPM plan.
 
Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
Kris Ogden reported that the student course evaluations were sent out. She stated that a different format was used for dual enrollment.
Kris said they will administer a survey to faculty to see what their experience has been like. It’s under team review and should be sent out by the end of this week. She stated they will offer something similar for the part-time staff.
 
Faculty Association
Cynthia Deutsch reported that the next meeting will be Tuesday, April 28th through Zoom for full time and adjunct faculty.  She stated she has received multiple questions regarding the grading process and has answered those questions as received.
Cynthia stated the open secretary position will be filled by Ernie Wade.
Cynthia said the first report out meeting of the Task Force was held on Friday, April 24th. Discussions were had about recommendations for the fall semester and what the second phase of the Task Force should look like.  She stated that she is serving on two subgroups; course delivery and dual enrollment. The Task Force will meet again this week and hopefully reach final recommendations for the meeting scheduled on Friday, May 1st. The final Task Force deadline is May 15th.
Cynthia stated the course delivery group has a three-phase plan. Phase one will have all classes online. Phase two is back on campus but with social distancing. Phase three will be when all is back to normal.
 
Classified Staff Association
Mary Zoccola commented on how the elementary and high schools possibly not opening in the fall could impact classified staff.
Mary stated that communications through the departments has been good and employees are getting their work done.
 
Part-Time Staff Association
Sarah Jarrett reported that the part-time staff met last Wednesday, April 22nd with nine people in attendance. She stated that Zoom meetings would be beneficial even after employees are back on campus because some of the off-site employees aren’t able to attend normally.
Sarah stated she will be working on creating a canvas site that would make resource links available.
 
With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 2:39 p.m. The next President’s Staff meeting is scheduled for May 4, 2020.
 
Back to top