Professional Development Policy Committee
October 19, 2017
The regular meeting of the Professional Development Policy Committee was called to order at 1:05 pm on October 19, 2017 in Room 2307 by Sarah Jarrett. (Note: Meeting date was rescheduled in advance from October 10 due to conflict for Chair and several other members. Change in date may have negatively affected attendance.)
Members Present: Mary Canfield, Juville Dario-Becker, Twila DeMasters, Sarah Jarrett, Alison Moore, and Charles Poff. Members Absent: Jim Lemons, Emily Muniz (sick), Cynthia Lofaso, Gary Randolph, Joseph Penrod, Lynn Dillard, Linda Mallory, Liz Booth (vacation), and Muriel Mickles (off-campus meeting).
Approval of Minutes
The Minutes from September 5, 2017 were approved.
Spring 2018 Convocation Plans were discussed. Convocation is usually planned by Dr. Mickles and now is done in conjunction with Alison Moore. The committee discussed the following:
- Speakers should present on topics relevant to the spring semester.
- Presentations should be brief, whenever possible. Include more comprehensive information in the Dean’s handouts or in Muriel’s newsletter, or in additional detailed breakout sessions, as is appropriate. (This was begun in Fall 2017 and it was well-received.)
- Perhaps the spring session could be different than the fall and could include outside speakers, vs. just being an update on CVCC.
- Working through lunch was agreeable.
- Offering Professional Development is a good idea during Convocation, but it also needs to be scheduled at other times in order to allow employees from Counseling, Admissions and Records, Financial Aid, and Accounting to attend. Immediately before school starts is not a good time for staff in these areas, due to enrollment needs of students. We should also consider scheduling more than one session, such as duplicating a session in the morning and the afternoon, to allow staff to split coverage in offices, so that all can attend.
- Survey faculty, staff and administration for breakout session topics. Several interactive presentations were very well received at September’s VCCA. Alison has already contacted a few presenters, and they are willing to offer a professional development session during Convocation.
Stephen Walker has agreed to present at a Brown Bag session on December 4th, and we may include lunch. Stephen is a very interactive and humorous presenter.
Professional Development Calendar on CVCC website
- Ask Wil Perez to attend a PD committee meeting to discuss this.
- Committee should review other websites for ideas to share with Alison and Wil on ways to lay out professional development on the new website. We would like to work toward developing a calendar and category format for professional development on the CVCC website. (Central Piedmont Community College in NC, may be one good example to review.) This would also serve as a recruiting tool for new faculty and staff as well long-term.
New Horizons – is professional development, but for many employees, the bulk of the cost is paid for out of another account.
Meeting was adjourned at 2:20pm by Sarah Jarrett. The next general meeting will be at 1:00 pm on November 28, 2017, in Amherst 2307.
Minutes submitted by: Mary Canfield
Approved by: Sarah Jarrett