Professional Development Policy Committee
February 27, 2018
In attendance: Sarah Jarrett, Twila DeMasters, Liz Boothe, Charles Poff, Alison Moore, Linda Mallory, Juville Dario-Becker. Not present: Emily Muniz (no coverage), Muriel Mickles (another meeting), Mary Canfield (vacation), Lynn Dillard (in class), Cynthia Lofaso (appointment), Jim Lemons, Joseph Penrod, and Gary Randolph.
Approval of Minutes from January 30, 2018
Linda moved to approve and Juville seconded. Motion passed.
1. New Horizons and Off-Campus Conference budgets update
At the moment, there are over 15 CVCC faculty and staff who will be attending New Horizons.
2. One Day Mid-Year Mini Convocation at CVCC
11 have registered so far for this event, including some Academic Counseling and Admissions staff members. The Committee felt that this was definitely enough to proceed and we look forward to hearing how it goes from Alison.
3. In the works: May 9 – Professional Development Program on Faculty Engagement (with Patti Saffioti)
This is a workshop that will relate to the upcoming initiative of faculty advising and should be a half-day event. More details to come.
4. In the works: PD Event for college faculty who teach high school students on our campus
Timing is still TBD for this event.
5. Proposed change in Professional Development plan for Educational Tuition Assistance after meeting with HR and others
Change relates to notification and approval eligibility process. Since Educational Tuition Assistance is classified as an employee benefit when it is offered, HR needs to confirm that staff requesting it are indeed eligible employees (full-time only) and will work with Alison on the paperwork and order of approvals.
1. Do you have ideas on how we can have employees bring back their new ideas to share from New Horizons?
We proposed having two “lightning round” brown bag sessions to share about New Horizons, one in the summer (May) and one during Convocation week in August. We may also ask those who presented a workshop at New Horizons to consider presenting it on campus during Fall Convocation if it is relevant to a broader audience.
2. Alison shared the New Professional Development Logo—Do we need a tagline to go with it?
Future Meeting Schedule: All meetings are scheduled for Amherst 2307, 1:00-2:00 pm
April 10, 2018
Minutes submitted by Sarah Jarrett, Chair.