Professional Development Policy Committee
10/8/2018 12:00:00 AM
Charles Poff – car issues
Schinae Gross-Williams – interviews
Muriel Mickles – Chancellor retreat
Jim Lemons – curriculum meeting
The regular meeting of the Professional Development Committee was called to order at 1 pm on October 9, 2018 in Amherst, 2307.
The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.
Liz moved to approve and Jeff seconded. The minutes of September 4, 2018 were unanimously approved and distributed.
- Updates to the PD Policy that were discussed at the last meeting (combining categories, addressing summer, etc.) have been officially approved by the College Governance Council and the President’s Cabinet. Alison will work on distributing the updated forms and timeline to the community.
- Thanks to Juville, Schinae, and Sarah for assisting with application review on September 21, 2018.
- Updates from last meeting were taken to Governance Council and approved by Presidents Cabinet.
- Continue to fine tune process: shorten forms
- Juville – include link to updated forms in Daily Bulletin
- Requested Chrome River training
- Chrome River may be a disincentive to some people interested in professional development
- It was suggested that it might be helpful to designate Chrome River “experts” throughout the campus to ease this process
- VCCS events w/out registration fees must still be submitted through Chrome River (put down $1 for registration fee)
- These no cost events should be done through divisions not PD budget/account to make the approval process less confusing (Alison suggested)
- Twila clarified that to be considered a substantial breakfast it must include a protein; if hotel or conference only provides pastries/fruit you can get per diem for breakfast
- No Current applications to review, Alison is going to email out new due dates to register/submit PD requests
- October 15 is deadline for any December events.
- Mindful Movements sessions – Positive response and turnout so far. Classified Staff Chair, Mary Canfield, thanked the PD Committee for sponsorship.
- PDC supported Mindful Movements
- Room location needs to be added to Daily Bulletin
- Mid-Semester Convocation will on Friday, October 12 from 11:30 am – 2:30 pm for those who were unable to attend in august.
- 35+ registered had to find larger room Friday
- Lunch provided for those that registered
- Ideas for training for internal employees
- Should committee offer a 4 hour Excel training (paid by committee; easy registration)?
- Linda suggested 3-4 week 1 hour training format during “holy hour”
- Tableau is another new “hot” program
- Juville requested Google Forms training
- Professional development series with various topics (ie. Tableau, Publisher, PPT, Outlook, etc.)
- Updates from Alison
- Alison excited about what’s happening in professional development
- Convocation Feedback and Suggestions
- Liz asked about spring convocation – classes starting later faculty report back a week before, more time for speakers, workshops, etc., funding available.
- Brainstorm ideas to bring to November Meeting
Meeting was adjourned at 2 pm by Sarah Jarrett. The next general meeting will be at time
on November 27, 2018 at 1 pm, in Amherst 2307.
None at this time.
None at this time.