Skip to Content
Committee Name: Professional Development Policy Committee
Meeting Date: 11/27/2018 12:00:00 AM
Schinae Gross-Williams
Sarah Jarrett
Juville Dario-Becker
Liz Boothe
Jeff Laub
Twila DeMasters
Cynthia Lofaso
Jim Lemons
Alison Moore
Muriel Mickles
Linda Mallory
Xavier Retram
 
The regular meeting of the Professional Development Committee was called to order at 1 pm on November 27, 2018 in Amherst, 2307.

The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Jim Lemons moved to approved. Cynthia seconded. The minutes of October 9, 2018 were unanimously approved and distributed.
  1. Still need to create a slide for the Bulletin with links to the revised forms.
    1. Alison created
      1. How to make links clickable
      2. Unsure if there would be an issue with google docs
      3. Instructed to send to Dianne Sykes and ask for assistance for active links
      4. Will send to Dianne by the end of the week
 
  1. Mid-Semester Convocation was held on October 12.  How did it go?
    1. Alison and Muriel - Very well attended had in multipurpose room
    2. At least 30 to 40 people
    3. Alison -Still lengthy, would love to make more interactive. A lot of information, but pretty much same stuff. Will reevaluate structure to make sure not sitting long.
 
  1. Thanks to Cynthia, Charles, and Jeff for assisting with application review on November 19, 2018.
    1. Thank you to Liz, Linda, and Sarah for reviewing October 31 (Halloween day)
    2. Sarah - Good process. May run out of funding for good cause. This holds those that want to attend events accountable for thinking and justifying their reasons.
  1. Spring Convocation:
    1. Brainstorm Ideas for the Agenda – We have a longer span of time to work with this semester, while still being mindful of the need to prepare for classes.  This is our last meeting before Spring Convocation, so we need to help Alison with topics today.
    2. Alison – 1/7/19 Faculty Report. 1/14/19 1st day of Classes
 
  1. Sessions
Chief Dove – Campus Security Navigate
David Lightfoot – Outlook Training Kris Ogden – Gen Ed
Ed/Gale – Canvas Training Sarah J – Career Development
Early Alerts Library
Retirement Benefits – Twila/Jim  
 
  1. Suggestion to hold all mandatory sessions on Monday and Tuesday
  2. Alison – thoughts on bringing in a speaker?
    1. Seems like so many events may not have time
    2. Outlook Training
    3. Linda – suggest Brown Bag session on Financial Literacy – suggested Jim Lemons to teach
    4. What to do to resolve “holy hour” (1-2 pm) meetings
    5. Twila asked when is a good time to schedule retirement seminar.
      1. Cynthia – typically schedule workshops/seminars for faculty on Fridays.
      2.  Linda – afternoons from 12 – 4
      3. Muriel – mini session during convocation
      4. Small group breakouts where everyone’s individual situation is discussed.
 
  1. Any other topics for discussion?
    1. Alison – Francie Dye part of CSA would like to plan a Leadership Training. Monthly session topics include Empowerment and other topics focusing on developing leadership.
      1. Each individual session $200
      2. Whole program $140 per person
      3. Francie asking for $2200 ($1400 for 10 people participating in the program)
      4. Twila – event is open to everyone
      5. Linda – can they have the timeframe from 1-2 on Tuesday “holy hour”
      6. Alison – going to talk to Francie notifying PDC supports, however, ask if other timeframes can be considered.
      7. Sarah - Motioned to support as long as staggered times. Muriel moved to approve Juville seconded.
 
Meeting was adjourned at 1:51 pm by Sarah Jarrett. The next general meeting will be at time on January 29, 2018 at 1 pm, in Amherst 2307.
 
None at this time.
None at this time.
Schinae Gross-Williams
Back to top