Minutes of PR and Marketing Committee
The regularly scheduled meeting of the PR and Marketing committee was held in Amherst Hall room 2207 on 10 September, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. The meeting convened at 2:00 p.m.
Members in attendance: Mike Bradford, Jana Fedele, Donna Hobbs, Jill Markwood, Catherine Rice (chair 2012-2013) Kevin Riley.
The first order of business was to elect a chair for the 2013-2014 year. Kevin Riley was nominated, seconded and voted into the position by those in attendance. (Congratulations and Thanks to Kevin)
We reviewed the progress made last year in terms of identifying our target market, our strengths, weaknesses, challenges and threats.
The committee reviewed the Piedmont Valley Community College (PVCC) 2012-2014 Advertising and PR Campaign as submitted to the VCCA 2013 Excellence in Communications Awards Competition. Mike Bradford supplied the report.
The committee agreed that all community colleges face many of the same challenges in promoting ourselves to prospective students. Unlike PVCC, which has 2 full-time and one part-time employee in their Marketing and Media Relations Office, we have no one dedicated to the marketing of the school. Some of the things that we felt we could use from their plan include
- using student and graduate testimonials
- a unified presence on Facebook and other social media
- Currently we have different pages for Art, Photography, Activities, Counseling and Motorcycle.
- Looking at local census numbers to determine the years in which we have smaller pools of traditional students (recent high school graduates), to identify when and where to spend our marketing dollars
- Direct mail postcards
- Updating the web site
- Using unique landing pages and counters to collect information about how the site is used by people responding to our call to action on different campaigns.
Submitted by Jana Fedele