Committee Name: CVCC Safety & Security Committee
Meeting Date: April 10, 2014
President’s Conference Room
· John Poole, VP Finance and Administration
· Russell Dove, Police Chief
· Lucy Carter-Smith
· Mike Fein, Library
· Jason Ferguson, EMS
· Peggy Samuels, Accounting
· Beth Walkup, Facilities (sitting in for Tom Bushley)
Approval of Minutes from January:
· The last minutes taken by Tammy Johnson were approved by John Poole and
Mike Fein, all in favor.
Discussion of Committee Mission, Goals and Objectives:
· Lucy would like to schedule another meeting before the end of the year to plan fall.
· Lucy would like to start training for CERT this summer.
· Discussion of Building Wardens listed below.
Policy on CVCC Designated Area as Public Use Space:
· Russell is currently working on revising the policy.
· Would like a 24 hour notice.
· No request for week before and week of exams due to class reviewing and exam scheduling.
· Expressive Use – deciding how to control. Possibly allowing certain time and place for this.
· Working to have the policy ready by the end of the year.
· Lucy is working on the after action review for the last tabletop exercise and planning to have more of these in the future.
· Peggy attended this session and stated that it was extremely helpful.
Bomb Threat Procedure Updates:
· Russell and Lucy want to update the EOP.
· Lucy wrote an annex for it that she will be emailing.
Adopt a Building Program/Building Safety Warden:
· Russell plans to identify the building wardens for each building, 2 each.
· The wardens need to be 12 month employees if at all possible.
· Would like to train as many as we can. Needed for day and evening shifts.
· Anyone who has the time to have an active role in this program is welcome.
· Will be training all Wardens and assigning them to certain buildings.
Threat Assessment Team Survey:
· Would like to see more training and stronger tabletop exercises.
· Would like the committee to put input on the “How’s” of training.
· Trying to figure out why the team members aren’t reporting incidents to their team.
· 2000-2009 there was an average of 5 mass shootings per year.
· 2009-2014 is an average of 16 mass shootings per year.
· Russell passed out a written survey to get an idea on if/how much we all understand the Threat Assessment Team. He wants everyone to have a better understanding of TAT and CARE.
· Lucy is working toward resolving the confidentiality of the team.
The meeting adjourned at 11:05 am.
Submitted by Beth Walkup