Social Events Committee Meeting (Tuesday, August 23, 2016)
Meeting Held on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 in Amherst Hall Room 2309 at 1 pm.
Present: Gayle Kiger, Tim Wilhelm, Lisa Hodges
The meeting was opened by Gayle Kiger and Tim Wilhelm welcoming our newest member Lisa Hodges.
The Social Events Committee has yet to choose a Chairman and will be left to the upcoming meeting to discuss since a quorum was not present at this meeting.
Tim Wilhelm agreed to continue as recorder for this committee as he was the recorder last year.
As a first order of business, we need to find out who is supposed to be on this committee this year. A list of committee members was emailed earlier this week and the only correct member on it was Tim Wilhelm. So we are not sure who is supposed to be on this committee this year except for those that were present at this meeting. We definitely need more help on this committee to plan and execute such a highly visible and enjoyable event.
Gayle has kindly agreed to contact Kris Ogden to fine tune our list of committee members for this year so we may contact them.
Gayle also kindly agreed to contact Diane Sykes to determine how much funding the Social Events committee will have this year.
Technically there was not a quorum to make any decisions at this meeting about the upcoming Holiday Social Event in December 2016. However discussion has begun.
A. Old Business
Discussion was made about what we did at last year’s Holiday Social.
Last year’s Holiday Social was held in Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room on Thursday December 15, 2015 from 11am – 1 pm. The committee decorated for this event on Wednesday December 14 at 1 pm.
The Theme of this Holiday Social Event was “Holiday Tailgate Brunch”. Which was based on the college and pro football bowl games. The menu of food served revolved around this theme and attendees were asked to wear their favorite team’s colors or jerseys in any sport pro or college. The decoration committee provided decorations based on the theme as well. If guests did wear their teams colors or jersey they received an extra ticket for the drawing for one of $500 worth of gift cards kindly acquired by Gayle. As an added feature John Lofaso was so kind to offer and set up a Photo Booth with Holiday photo props to use to take pictures of the attendees. John then posted those pictures on the CVCC website for all to browse. The event was a big success. At this event, there is also the Service Awards and Cougar Awards presented. And the retirees are also invited to attend.
B. New Business
· Discussion has begun on this year’s Holiday Social to be held in the same place, the Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room.
· The exam schedule for this semester was then given out to possibly look at dates and times we can have this event.
· This semester Exams are given this semester on Tuesday Dec. 13, Wednesday Dec. 14, Thursday Dec. 15 and Friday Dec. 16. Exam times for this week are 8 am – 10:30 am, 11:00 am- 1:30 pm, 2:00pm – 4:30 pm. Dates cannot be determined until we meet with Dominick to see what his schedule will allow him to do for this event. Tim has agreed to contact Dominick to hopefully set a date and time for the event. The Culinary Arts Program has been chosen to cater this event and they are a huge part of the success of this Holiday Social Event. We discussed Thursday Dec. 15. But will look at Dominick’s exam schedule and personal schedule before any decision is made.
o A decision has to be made soon about the date and time to hold this year’s Holiday Social Event so the Merritt Hall Multipurpose room and Dr. Capp’s schedule can be booked. Invitations can be made and sent out as well.
· We should have $500 to spend on Gift Cards for this upcoming Holiday Social. Last year we had the following gift cards that were given out as door prizes.
o Sheets - $15, $15, $20
o Walmart - $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
o Target - $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
o Kroger - $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
o Amazon - $20¸$20, $20, $20, $20
o 3 pair of (2) movie tickets to Regal Cinema ($17 for each pair from Student Activities or same price at Sam’s Club.
· We also discussed contacting John Lofaso to bring back the Photo Booth for this event as well and will contact John to see if it would be possible with his schedule this semester.
· We also discussed possible themes for this year’s Holiday Social Event. And several idea’s from this meeting are listed below for the committee to be thinking about.
o A marshmallow world…
o Marshmallow Roast…
o Elf on the ….
o Christmas Carol…
o Ho! Ho! Ho!...
o 12 Days of Christmas…
o Greeting Cards and ….
o Twas the Night before….
o Santa Hat Party…where guests wear Santa Hats.
o Jingle Bell…
o Deck the halls…
o Better not Pout…
o Naughty or Nice…
o Let it snow…
o Old fashioned Dicken’s Christmas
o A North Pole…
o Santa’s Workshop….
o Candy Canes and ….
o White Christmas…
o Silver Bells and ….
o Winter Wonderland
o Deck the Halls….
o Holiday Greetings
o Holiday Greeting Cards and ….
· Typically in the past, the Menu served and decorations revolved around the Theme. These were just some themes, there are many others and ideas.
· As a committee we need to begin to start thinking about these fun things!! Especially the theme!
The next Social Events Committee Meeting will be Held in Amherst Hall Room 2309 on Tuesday September 27, 2016 at 1 pm.
Hopefully for this next meeting:
Gayle may have an updated list of our committee members.
Gayle may have the amount of funding we will have this year.
Tim may have a Date and Time for the upcoming Holiday Social Event after he consults with Dominick!
The meeting was adjourned at 1:37 pm
Social Events Committee Recorder