Scheduled Social Events Committee Meeting (Tuesday, February 14, 2017)________________________
A regularly scheduled Social Events Committee meeting was held on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 in the Culinary Arts Dining Area at 1 pm.
Present: Gayle Kiger, Dominick Launi, Tim Wilhelm
The Social Events Committee had another productive meeting today.
Old business: As follows:
The Event Date and Time:
o The date for the 2017 Spring Social is Thursday May 4, 2017 in Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room from 11:15 am – 1:30 pm
o The set up and decoration for the event date is Wednesday May 3, 2017 at
o The date was given to Dianne Sykes and Dr. Capps to make sure they were available to attend on the above date. It is a good date for both.
o Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room has been reserved by Tim for both days May 3 and May 4, 2017 for the Spring Social through Facilities Management.
o A Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room Diagram of the layout for our event was sent to Kathye Herndon in Facilities Management by Tim.
o The Outstanding Faculty Awards and Faculty Emeritus Awards will be presented at this Spring Social.
o The Retiree Recognition Ceremony will also be conducted at this Spring Social.
The Theme for the Spring Social Luncheon 2017 is: “CVCC – 50 years in the Commonwealth”.
The Multipurpose Room Layout: It was brought to Tim’s attention by Kathye Herndon that the maximum number of seats we should have in the Multipurpose Room is 150 due to fire code regulations. Tim revised the room layout diagram to 150 seats and resent the Multipurpose Room Layout Diagram to Kathye Herndon.
The Budget: The budget was presented to the committee by Gayle. We should have $2648.17 in the budget to spend on this Spring Social with a possibility of extra funds available from Dianne Sykes. Gayle will graciously contact Dianne to see if a possible dollar amount can be given to the committee. (Thank you Gayle).
It is estimated for this Spring Social: Food = $2,000
Gift Cards = $450
Decorations = $300
Approximate Total: $2,750
With the extra funds from Dianne Sykes, we should do well for the event with this budget estimate.
The Menu: The possible menu items were presented to the committee by Dominick. In keeping with our theme by serving foods from our own Commonwealth!
The “Virginia Commonwealth Cuisine” (thank you Dominick)! of possible menu items include:
· Chesapeake She Crap Soup
· Stuffed Flounder
· Grilled vegetables Ratatouille
· Chicken Virginia OR Pecan crusted Chicken Meuniere (a sautéed Skillet Fried Chicken)
· Glazed baby carrots
· Shaved Brussel sprouts
· Virginia Clise Rolls ( a soft colonial period yeast roll)
· Spiced Asian Pear Cake
· Virginia Apple Pudding (a bread pudding)
· Brunswick Stew
· Williamsburg Orange Cake or Cupcakes
· Virginia Style Macaroni Salad
· Sweet Potato biscuits with Smithfield Ham
· Virginia Spare Ribs
· Ramps ( a very good onion-based soup)
Note: not all the menu items will be served at the social but the menu will be fine-tuned in accordance to our budget for food for this event. The above is a list of possible menu items at this time.
· Gayle presented some decorations left over from the 50 year anniversary event from Catherine Rice. They were approximately one dozen small 50 year wooden signs on sticks, large blue and yellow painted “50” letters and big bag of small tiny blue stones.
· Tim proposed to the committee to have CVCC Colors of ribbon, blue and yellow, to run down the tables over the white table coverings.
· Tim proposed to the committee to have Frosted wine bottles with lights (approx. 16) and small Blue bottles (approx. 20) that will have either a small 50 year wooden sign placed in it or some small artificial yellow daisy’s/flowers in the others to match the CVCC colors. And sprinkled around the bottles the tiny blue stones from Gayle’s decorations above.
· The frosted wine bottles and the blue bottles will be given away as door prizes at the end of the Social event.
· Gayle proposed to the committee to have small silver tins/buckets and tiny spoons to be filled with already shelled peanuts to place on the tables as well since Virginia is a BIG peanut producer.
With the above decoration ideas proposed to the committee, it was agreed by the committee to have Tim go ahead and order the Frosted Wine bottles with lights, the small blue bottles and to locate and order the small silver tin/buckets for the Spring Social. Tim will proceed with this order.
It was also noted that and agreed to the following:
Tim will check with Sarah Jarrett to see if there are any artificial flowers from any past social events.
Tim will check with Deanne to see if she may have a 50 year banner for the Podium in Merritt Hall Multipurpose room.
Gayle will check with Catherine and Mr. Bradford to see if they may have a 50 year banner for the Podium in Merritt Hall Multipurpose room.
Gayle will check with Catherine to see if there are any left-over napkins from the 50 year anniversary event.
Photo Booth: Tim brought some images of some possible Photo Booth Props to run by John for a possible Colonial Virginia Theme or Virginia President’s theme to the Photo Booth. Tim will touch base with John to see if he would like to order any of these props.
Gift Card Door Prizes: Gayle indicated we will have $450 of gift card door prizes in which if a guest wore their CVCC 50 year anniversary T-shirt or button to the Social they would receive an extra door prize ticket!
· Sheets: $15, $15, $20
· Walmart: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
· Target: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
· Kroger: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
· Amazon: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
· 3 pair of (2) movie tickets to Regal Cinemas from Student Activities
We will have another scheduled Social Events Committee Meeting on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 1 pm in the Culinary Arts Building Dining Area.
· At this meeting, we will begin to fine tune plans for the Spring Social Event.
We had another very productive meeting! Thank you!
We also want to continue to wish Kitty a speedy recovery during her Medical Leave.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:35 pm
Social Events Committee Recorder