Called Social Events Committee Meeting (April 18, 2017)
A called Social Events Committee meeting was held on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 in the Culinary Arts Dining Area at 1 pm.
Present: Gayle Kiger, Dominick Launi, Tim Wilhelm, John Lofaso, and Layia Perry
This was the last meeting of the Social Events Committee until the Fall 2017 Semester.
- At this meeting, the committee finalized all the plans, menu and assignments to work the registration table and gift card giveaways for this event.
Old business: As follows:
The Event Date and Time:
- The date for the 2017 Spring Social is Thursday May 4, 2017 in Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room from 11:15 am – 1:30 pm
- The set up and decoration for the event date is Wednesday May 3, 2017 at 1 pm.
- Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room has been reserved for both days May 3 and May 4, 2017 for the Spring Social through Facilities Management.
- A Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room Diagram of the layout for our event was sent to Kathye Herndon in Facilities Management.
- The Outstanding Faculty Awards and Faculty Emeritus Awards will be presented at this Spring Social.
- The Retiree Recognition Ceremony will also be conducted at this Spring Social.
The Theme for the Spring Social Luncheon 2017 is: “CVCC – 50 years in the Commonwealth”.
The Budget: We should have $2648.17 in the budget to spend on this Spring Social with extra funds available from Dianne Sykes.
It is estimated for this Spring Social: Food = $2,000
Gift Cards = $450
Decorations = $300
Approximate Total: $2,750
Dominick can contact Dianne Sykes to get the Social Events Account number to have his Culinary Arts Budget Reimbursed for the food costs for this event.
Dominick can also contact Dianne Sykes to get the Local Funds Account number if he is in need for any extra funding for the cost of the food for this event.
The Menu: Here is the final menu for the Spring Social Luncheon 2017.
- Chesapeake She Crap Soup
- Brunswick Stew
- Pecan Crusted Chicken Meniere
- Sweet potato biscuits with Smithfield ham and honey mustard
- Crab cakes with Tartar sauce
- Virginia Style Macaroni Salad
- Roasted Vegetables Southwest Virginia Style
- Fresh Salad with dressings
- Virginia Apple Pudding
- Williamsburg Orange Muffins
- Vegetarian Crab Cakes: (a possible vegan hot dish)
- Sweet Tea, Non-sweet tea and water
Noted by Dominick: CVCC is committed to streamlining the purchasing process with the VCCS Shared Services. He noted that there will be issues in the future with the purchasing process of food needed for future Social Committee Events.
Decorations have been ordered, received and ready for the event.
- Decoration Day for this event in the Merritt Hall Multipurpose Room will be Wednesday
May 3, 2017 at 1 pm. Please bring some tape and scissors with you for decorating.
Note: It was noted by Tim that for all future Social Events, the purchase of decorations will also have to go through Shared Services. Local funds will be turned over to Shared Services. In the future for all decoration purchases, Chrissy Brannan in the Business Office will have to be contacted about purchasing any decorations.
Photo Booth: Photo Booth Props have been ordered, received and ready for the event.
Gift Card Door Prizes: $450 of gift card door prizes have been purchased. If a guest wears their CVCC 50 year anniversary T-shirt or 50 year button to the Social they will receive an extra door prize ticket!
- Sheets: $15, $15, $20
- Walmart: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
- Target: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
- Kroger: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
- Amazon: $20, $20, $20, $20, $20
- 3 pair of (2) movie tickets to Regal Cinemas from Student Activities
Note: It was noted by Gayle that for all future Social Events, the purchase of gift cards will also have to go through Shared Services. Local funds will be turned over to Shared Services. In the future for all gift card purchases, Chrissy Brannan in the Business Office will have to be contacted about purchasing gift cards.
The Social Event Committee Assignments for the Spring 2017 Luncheon:
Draw and read out names of prize winners:
Dominick Launi and crew
5 Student Ambassadors to assist
Note: Kim French has been contacted and will forward a list of ambassadors to Dominick to help.
The Social Event Agenda: Order of Events (Times may vary slightly as needed)
Check-in, fill out tickets for door prizes
Photo Booth (ongoing)
Welcome – Dr. Capps
Blessing – Dr. Mickles
Dismissal for food tables – Dominick Launi
Outstanding Employee Awards – Dr. Capps
Draw for Door Prizes (13) – Gayle and Tim (Dianne Sykes assist with recording names of winners of door prizes)
Administrative Faculty –
Classified Staff -
Draw for door prizes (13) – Gayle and Tim
Announce how to know if you’ve won a centerpiece – Gayle and Tim
(Please come back at 1:30 pm with your winning bucket to claim your prize)
Retiree Recognitions – Dr. Capps
Dismissal and thanks to all for attending.
Final Item: To the Social Events Committee: Gayle Kiger, Lisa Hodges and Tim Wilhelm are due to rotate off the Social Events Committee for next year.
On behalf of Gayle, Lisa and myself, it was great to work with everyone on the Social Events Committee for the past two years. We had a great group of people on the committee to work with and with a great team effort put on four wonderful Social Events Committee Luncheons together. It was a pleasure to work with all of you!
The meeting was adjourned at 1:50 pm
Social Events Committee Recorder