Student Success Committee
11/12/2018 12:00:00 AM
- Patti Saffioti
- Teresa Ranson
- Renee Chalmers
- Raylene Cope
- Collins Friddle
- Cynthia Lofaso
- Chris Jordan
- Jennifer Onuffer
- Brittney Cochrane
- Emma Donohue
- Layia Perry
- Chris Robinson
- Kimberly French
- Michael Farris
- David Lightfoot
- Matt Naugle
- Thomas Sparhawk
- Vicki Bowman
- Meredith McLaughlin
- Joy Adams
- Matt Poteat
- Minutes were approved from 10/2/2018
- Resource Guides have been ordered and will be distributed in magazine holders in the ladies restrooms. They should be in place by Spring 2018
- Looking for direction on how to establish a Care Team on campus as well as acquiring funding possibly from a grant. The focus of the Care Team at this time is mental health assessment. Cynthia Lofaso volunteered to represent the faculty on the Care Team.
- Part-time staff was approved as voting members of this committee. Jennifer Onuffer was present to represent Vickie Bowman concerning this issue.
- We need to better prepare our students for college success by making sure they have the basic computer skills necessary when they start college.
- Students are struggling in ITE and Business classes because they are used to Chrome Books rather than the Office Suite, etc., that we use on campus
- Suggestions were to add a new class to make sure they are better prepared
- English as a Second Language
- It was noted that students were struggling because we don’t have resources in place to help these students on an individual basis
- It was suggested that we get a tutor or some resource point of contact for ESL students
- It was mentioned that maybe the Navigate team could help.
- Phone Tree was discussed at length, presented by David Lightfoot
- Improvements necessary were prioritized
- Update options when persons call the main CVCC number
- Phone system should align with the website by giving options by Services and not by Departments
- Paying for College
- Enrolling for Classes
- Contacting Instructors
- Maybe add a Live Chat Box since we don’t have a live person to answer the phone at all times
- Set the system up so that it will get the person calling to a live person at least by the time they make their 3rd choice of services as they move through the phone tree when they call
- The goal is for students to not have to leave a number for someone to call them back because if they call they more than likely need help at that moment.
- Add a “Contact Us” number on the front page of the website (maybe some listings for major departments)
- The topic was discussed about “Why our group is tasked with this job?” and “Do we need a smaller group to improve the phone tree?”
General Consensus after much discussion was:
- Form a smaller committee of some of the major departments on campus to decide how the phone tree should be built.
- Speak with Will Perez about adding a “Contact Us” number to our webpage
- Hope to have a small working group in place for phone tree improvements by Jan 22nd meeting.
Secondary to the Phone Tree
- We need to make sure our info on the website, catalog, and signage for the college align correctly