Student Success Committee
1/26/2021 12:00:00 AM
Kimberly French, Victor Sizemore, Philmika Reid, Kevin Riley, Angela Perry, Serena Saleh, Shannon McDermott, Ryan McNamara, Brittney Cochrane, Ken Bunch, Meredith McLaughlin, Layia Perry, Cynthia Deutsch
Michael Farris, Joy Adams, Patti Saffioti, Donna Grant-Paige, Arlene Gunter, Karen Alexander, Michael Duncan
- Approved the minutes from the last meeting on 10-13-20.
- Learning Commons update: Notes per Patti, that Student Success Center has a new embedded tutor program in the Learning Commons. They hired 10 tutors and the tutors got in their 24 courses last week. She is currently doing a survey to see how they are doing, and she will evaluate the program at midterm and at the end of the semester. This program should help with the new Direct Enrollment program beginning fall.
- Kevin provided a Navigate update informing us of a few upcoming changes to Navigate that should help with students making appointments by including a direct link for students to create an appointment. This would apply to counselors, tutors, early alert referrals, financial aid and for tutoring appointments. There is also an update for how the Outlook calendar sinks in Navigate.
- Community Connections update: Philmika spoke about how she has been reaching out to students and uploading content in Canvas for students. She also spoke about CVCC working with Single Stop, a non-profit organization that will help students connect with free, vital resources they need to overcome financial barriers. She feels mental health has been a top student need.
- Workforce update: Angela Perry reported the Core Electrical class just started and the Electrical 2 class starts soon. Workforce Development will be meeting with the people in charge of the mobile lab needed for the Solar Installer class that they hope to offer, date is not yet decided.
- Financial Aid update: Ryan spoke about the upcoming drop date for 16-week session classes and how his office is working with students who still currently owe to try and help them figure out a way to cover their classes. Ryan spoke about the upcoming change to the Summer Grant form, which was previously required for students to submit if they wanted aid in the summer. Due to many students not having access to printers to sign the form, the Financial Aid office is thinking of not requiring the form or making the form an item to complete on the To Do list in the Student Center.
- Student Success Newsletter: Discussed the newsletter for January/February and agreed it would focus starting the new year off on a positive note with the free resources we have to help students be successful: tutoring, community connections, Wi-Fi spots, loaner laptop/hotspot programs. Brittney will create this newsletter.
- Other Business: Kimberly updated on the Re-Employing Virginians (REV) Program, which has been extended through December 2021. REV funds are a one-time, last dollar tuition only award for students that had their jobs impacted by COVID. Brittney Cochrane and Raylene Cope are the points of contact for the REV eligible credit programs. Cathy Saunders is the point of contact for the Workforce Development programs.
- Meeting ended at: 1:31 pm
None at this time.
None at this time.