This policy reduces Central Virginia Community College's (CVCC's) carbon footprint. Additionally, it enables CVCC to provide service to our community when the unexpected happens by quickly transitioning to a mobile workforce.
Faculty and staff members, whose positions warrant a dedicated computer, will be issued CVCC-owned Windows-based mobile computer and accessories. Each Windows-based mobile device will include accessories for a primary and secondary workspace. The division or department supervisor will determine how and where the faculty/staff member is authorized to use the equipment. CVCC will also reduce its carbon footprint by, whenever possible, using electronic materials and eliminating printed materials for in-person and virtual meetings at which the attendees are limited to CVCC faculty and staff.
Faculty and staff actively involved in teaching and learning in areas where a non-Windows is required can request a non-Windows device from IT through their division supervisor. The request must include a compelling reason why a non-Windows-based computer is required. Denied requests can be appealed to the Education, E-Learning, and Information Technology (E2IT) Committee by the responsible supervisor.
CVCC Windows-based mobile computers provided to faculty and staff will include an integrated keyboard or an attachable mobile keyboard, a carrying case, a power supply, and a Bluetooth headset. Additional accessories to be provided:
- a single dock and a power supply for additional mobile computer connectivity, including wired network connection, video, sound, and USB. The dock will be used at the faculty/staff member's primary workspace. It is essential to note that the primary and secondary workspaces can change.
- Two (2) monitors to connect to the dock at the faculty/staff member's primary workspace. Alternatively, one monitor can be connected to the dock at the faculty/staff member's primary workspace and the other at the faculty/staff member's secondary workspace.
- Cables will be provided to connect the monitors to the mobile computer. This (these) cable (cables) can also be used for faculty/staff that choose a second monitor at their secondary workspace.
- A USB hub will be provided for additional USB port availability at the faculty/staff member's primary or secondary workspace.
Fiscal responsibility for accessories beyond the ones listed above is the department's responsibility or the faculty/staff member.
Responsibility for the Equipment:
- IT Department responsibilities:
- Provide the equipment.
- Support the faculty/staff member using the equipment.
- Repair/replace defective or malfunctioning equipment.
- Replace the equipment in accordance with the replacement cycle.
- Faculty/Staff member’s responsibility:
- Use the equipment in compliance with all VCCS Standards, including:
- 6.2 Mobile Devices and Teleworking (attached)
- 8.1 Asset Management (attached)