Skip to Content

​Educational Tuition Assistance

Funding Source: Professional Development

Percentage of Budget: 30%

Completion by Design Category:  Progress

Eligible Groups: Full-time faculty and classified staff.  Requests for educational assistance must be for courses that are job-related or are part of a job-related degree program at an accredited institution. 

Goal: To ensure that employees remain current on issues affecting the College and the employee's role in it.  To ensure that employees stay current on best practices within the employee's discipline or position. 

Description: CVCC offers full-time faculty and classified staff partial tuition reimbursement for both undergraduate and graduate studies for course work at another accredited college or university.  Tuition assistance is limited based on the availability of Professional Development funds.  Current reimbursement rates are as follows:

  • Undergraduate     $437.25 per credit hour
  • Graduate             $673.75 per credit hour

To reflect changes in tuition costs, the tuition reimbursement rate is periodically reviewed and adjusted.  Tuition reimbursement is limited to no more than 2 courses (3-4 credits each) per year, or 5% of the total professional development funds available, whichever is lower. 

Obtaining Funding:

  1. Approval Process
    1. The Professional Development budget will vary year to year.
    2. Funding for individuals applying for Educational Assistance will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. 
    3. Full-time faculty and classified staff must complete the Educational Assistance & Continuous Learning Request form (VCCS 16).
    4. The VCCS 16 form is then submitted to the employee's supervisor for approval. 
    5. The immediate supervisor will forward the request and related documentation to the HR Office.
    6. The HR Office will review and compile all eligible requests and forward them to the Coordinator of Professional Development. 
    7. The Coordinator of Professional Development will make a decision on each request, based on the recommendation of the supervisor, HR, and the availability of required funding. 
    8. The Coordinator of Professional Development will forward the approved requests to the Vice President of Financial and Administrative Services for final approval and processing. 
    9. The Coordinator of Professional Development will notify the applicant of the outcome. 
    10. Applicants receiving approval must submit required documentation to the Accounting Department.
    11. Funding requests for dissertation research are limited to a maximum of six (6) credit hours per semester.
    12. See the Schedule for Funding Requests for information about application dates, notification dates, and deadlines for submission of documentation to the Accounting Department. 
  2. Reimbursement

    Within fourteen (14) days of course completion, the employee will submit the following documentation to the HR Office to receive reimbursement:

    1. Documentation of payment for the course and a copy of grades.  Eligibility for reimbursement is contingent upon the successful completion of the course ("C" or higher for undergraduate courses and "B" or higher for graduate courses).
    2. Requests for exceptions to the reimbursement process must be preapproved by the President or his/her designee.
    3. The employee must notify the HR Office if s/he fails to complete the course or meet the minimum grade requirement.  Failure to notify the HR Office of these events may result in the loss of future educational aid eligibility.  In the event an employee leaves employment with CVCC prior to completing the course, s/he will not be eligible for reimbursement.
    4. Employees who receive educational aid for the attainment of a job-related certification, licensure, or degree are not guaranteed the additional compensation allowed under the provision of the College's In-Band Adjustment Policy.

Additional information regarding Educational Tuition Assistance situations may be found under the heading: Forms of Educational Aid.

Back to top