Funding Source: None
Percentage of Budget: 0%
Eligible Groups: All employees
Goal: To ensure that employees remain current on issues affecting the College and the employee's role in it. To ensure that employees stay current on best practices within the employee's discipline or position.
Description: The Coordinator of Professional Development will schedule and promote monthly sessions on the campus of CVCC to facilitate and encourage CVCC employees sharing and learning from each other. There are two types of these sessions: "brown-bags" (more informal) and regular professional development session (more formal/planned). The sessions will be promoted via fliers, website, and emails and will be placed on the professional development calendar each semester. The sessions should alternate Mondays and Thursdays to reach as many employees as possible.
- "Brown-bag" sessions: These sessions are held during a lunch hour and participants are encouraged to bring their own lunch. This type of professional development fosters comradery and collegiality. Examples of brown-bag sessions could include:
- Faculty/staff sharing traveling experiences with other faculty
- Round table discussions of best practices in the classroom
- Sharing/presenting on a topic recently learned about at conference
- Sharing/learning about past experiences (i.e. serving in the military)
- Sharing/learning about cultures that are different from our own
- Other on-campus sessions (more formal): These sessions utilize a presentation/workshop format. Topics for these sessions should originate with the annual Professional Development Survey. The topics should be of interest to faculty and/or staff. These topics will be presented by the faculty and staff at CVCC. Examples of topics could include:
- Cooperative learning in the classroom
- Tools for online teaching
- Leadership/management skills
- Flipping the classroom
- Filling out APPDOs/EWPs
- Benefits - Healthcare and retirement
No funding is necessary for these on-campus professional development activities. The faculty/staff member presenting or facilitating will not receive monetary compensation.