This policy provides guidance for CVCC staff, faculty and students in their use of official CVCC social media, which should be broadly understood to include social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as blogs, wikis,message boards, chatrooms, online forums, and other sites and services that permit users to share information with others in a contemporaneous manner pertaining to the college.
The benefits of social media allow approved CVCC social media administrators and users with the ability to disseminate a wide variety of real-time information and engage with the public through an online presence. Examples include showing positive photos and graphics about CVCC, promoting special events, enrollment marketing, and other relevant information about the college. It is therefore imperative that rules and guidelines be established and followed concerning CVCC social media usage.
The CVCC PR/Marketing Coordinator has primary responsibility for the oversight of the college’s official social media sites. As such, the PR/Marketing Coordinator can approve and provide login credentials to qualified staff or students to access the administrative areas of the official CVCC Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and YouTube accounts. Possible future/additional sites will be considered as they present and are evaluated. Those who are approved will then be authorized to perform social media postings by adhering to the guidelines and procedures in the following CVCC Social Media Policy. If social media site access is rescinded, the person’s administration login privileges will be revoked.
Once approved, authorized administrators and users of CVCC social media accounts agree to respect the terms of service of the individual social networking sites’ rules and understand that CVCC social media account administrators have the right to remove any content that is deemed to be offensive, inappropriate, or of a harassing or threatening nature; and/or that which can be construed as defamatory; or contains profanity. CVCC account administrators also have the right to block posts from those who violate these guidelines. The college is not responsible for posts or comments made by fans, followers, or visitors to CVCC’s social media accounts. CVCC student groups may start their own social media pages not directly affiliated with CVCC, but will provide the PR/Marketing Coordinator with access to any social media site that refers to CVCC and/or displays the CVCC logo.
Reference to CVCC and/or use of the CVCC logo should be approved by PR/Marketing Coordinator before an ancillary site becomes live on the Internet. All posters to official CVCC social media sites and CVCC affiliated social media sites should endeavor to maintain a high quality of posted photos and image graphics. For more information, social media administrators should refer to the official CVCC Style Guide. The text in all postings to official CVCC social media sites and CVCC affiliated social media sites should be grammatically correct with no errors or typos. If a poster is unsure of information, he/she should check with the PR/Marketing Coordinator to ensure accuracy.
CVCC expects its faculty, staff, and students to be honest and transparent in their electronic communications and to respect privacy, confidentiality, and copyright laws. Posted content on college social media sites should always be accurate, concise, student-oriented, sensitive to diverse audiences, and respectful to the college, its employees, students, and the community at large. Posting behavior should also be congruent with the following policies and user agreements found on the official CVCC website centralvirginia.edu and/or the CVCC employee handbook:
- The Information Technology Student/Patron Acceptable Use Agreement
- CVCC Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy
- State Standards of Conduct Policy (state employees only)
- CVCC Worldwide Web Content Policy (CVCC employee manual)
CVCC faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators are expected to adhere to the CVCC Social Media Policy and to follow the Social Media Guidelines and Procedures listed below. These guidelines are broad in nature as social media technology is constantly evolving and no one set of guidelines and procedures can address all the particular situations and circumstances that may arise.
The following general procedure policies apply to use of social media on behalf of CVCC, as well as any associated college groups.
- Faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators need to know and agree to adhere to these guidelines and codes of conduct when using social media in reference to CVCC and its likeness/identity.
- Faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators should be aware of the effect their actions may have on their personal image and reputation, as well as CVCC’s image and reputation.
- Faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators should be aware that the CVCC PR/Marketing Coordinator observes and evaluates content and information made available (posted) on all CVCC social media sites. The PR/Marketing Coordinator may also delete or hide any postings determined as unsuitable based on image and/or text content as per paragraph (e).
- Faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators must use these established online policies and their own best judgment in posting material that is neither inappropriate nor harmful to CVCC, its staff, or students.
- Although not an exclusive list, some specific examples of prohibited social media content includes posting commentary, content, or images that are defamatory, pornographic, proprietary, harassing, libelous, or that generate animus.
- Faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators are not to publish, post or release any information that is considered confidential and/or not public. If there are questions about what is considered confidential, the CVCC social media administrator/poster should check with the CVCC PR/Marketing Coordinator prior to posting.
- Social media networks, blogs and other types of online content can generate press and media attention or legal questions. Employees should refer any of these inquiries to the CVCC PR/Marketing Coordinator.
- If faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators encounter a situation while using social media that is threatening and/or antagonistic, CVCC posters should disengage from the dialogue and notify the CVCC Police Department and the PR/Marketing Coordinator. This recommendation also applies to any CVCC affiliated Facebook Group pages.
- Faculty, staff, and approved CVCC social media administrators should get appropriate permission before posting images of current or former faculty, employees, or students and before tagging a post with a person’s name and/or social media identity. Additionally, posters should get appropriate permission to use a third party's copyrights, copyrighted material, trademarks, service marks or other intellectual property as per the social media website’s own policies regarding such matters. Some policy links appear below:
The CVCC PR/Marketing Coordinator also maintains and monitors official college accounts on several social media sites as a way to provide announcements and information about upcoming events and activities, as well as to provide a forum for open discussion among students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community.
The CVCC PR/Marketing Coordinator will provide training for social media administrators and is available to answer questions and offer guidance related to social media administration and management.
Concerns with abusive or inappropriate content on social media accounts should be reported to the CVCC PR/Marketing Coordinator, and/or the CVCC Campus Police if of a threatening nature.
IV. CVCC Social Media Disclaimer Statement
Central Virginia Community College (CVCC) welcomes the exchange of ideas about college programs, issues, events and activities on its social media websites. The material posted, however, does not necessarily represent the views or policies ofCVCC.
CVCC reserves the right to remove pages, posts, comments, or other content from any CVCC social media site that contains inappropriate material or does not adhere to the college’s standards. CVCC may remove content for any reason, including butnot limited to, content that it deems threatening, profane, obscene, a violation of intellectual property rights or privacy laws, off-topic, commercial or promotion of organizations or programs not related to or affiliated with CVCC, or otherwise injurious orillegal. Users are fully responsible for the content they post on any CVCC social media sites.
By submitting content to any CVCC social media site, users understand and acknowledge that this information is available to the public, and that CVCC may use this information for internal and external promotional purposes.
CVCC is not responsible for the content of any linked external websites. Users who do not wish to have information they have made available to be used, published, copied and/or reprinted, should not post on the CVCC social media sites.