The name of this association shall be CVCC Classified Staff Association, consisting of the classified employees of Central Virginia Community College.
The Objectives of the CVCC Classified Staff Association shall be:
- To promote better communication and cooperation among all employees of Central Virginia Community College and its service region.
- To voice and express the Association’s point of view on any subjects relevant to the interests of Central Virginia Community College. Such suggestions or recommendations as a result there of shall be made to the appropriate College committee or officer.
- To share ideas, exchange information, generate recommendations, and discuss issues that affect CVCC classified personnel.
- To foster unity, cooperation, and loyalty among all classified employees of CVCC.
- To recommend methods and means of improving career opportunities for CVCC classified employees.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Membership in the Association shall be open to any CVCC classified staff employee. Classified staff are employees who occupy positions that are listed in the Commonwealth’s Compensation Plan, and who are covered by the Virginia Personnel Act as found in Chapter 10, Title 2.1 of the Code of Virginia, once they have completed the probationary period. They are assigned to an established position and are scheduled to work 40 hours per week. Full-time classified employees are paid on the semi-monthly payroll.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
The officers of the Association shall be a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, and such other officers as provided for in the Bylaws. All officers shall have terms of two years. No person may serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
ARTICLE V - MEETINGS
Meetings shall be as provided for in the Governance Committee Model calendar.
ARTICLE VI - AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION
This constitution may be amended at any regular meeting of the Association by a majority vote, a quorum being present (10% of CSA membership), provided the amendment(s) has been distributed to the membership at least two (2) business days prior to the meeting date. Notice of the proposed amendment may be sent by e-mail or by publication on the Daily Bulletin.
ARTICLE I - MEETINGS
Regular meetings of this association shall be held in accordance to the Governance Committee Model calendar. If the President, in conjunction with the Executive Committee, determines that a regularly scheduled meeting is unnecessary due to the absence of business to be discussed, the meeting may be canceled with adequate notice, of at least two (2) business days, to the membership. A quorum of the membership shall be considered present at all meetings provided the meeting is either a regularly scheduled meeting or a called meeting with the membership being notified at least two (2) business days prior.
Special meetings of this association may be called by the President, or designee, or at the request of ten percent of the membership, provided two business days’ notice is given all members by e-mail.
Votes can be taken in-person or through an electronic forum/medium. Votes should be received within two business days of a meeting. Votes on major issues shall use the electronic process for the casting and tabulation of votes. Members will have two business days to vote. The designated voting dates will be established by the CSA President or designee.
ARTICLE II - OFFICERS
The officers of the CVCC Classified Staff Association shall consist of a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer.
Election of Officers
The officers shall be nominated by a Classified Staff Association member.
- The officers shall be elected annually during the last meeting of the spring semester and assume office in the following month.
- There shall be at least one candidate for each office. The names of the nominees shall be announced at least two weeks prior to the official election.
- Additional candidates for each office may be nominated from the floor, providing each nominee receives a second.
Vacancies in Office
Should a vacancy other than the Presidency occur in any office, the vacancy will be filled at the first meeting after it occurs by nominations from the floor and immediate voting shall follow.
Duties of Officers
The President shall preside over meetings; call special meetings as provided in Article I, Section 2; shall consult all officers in appointing all committees; and serve as an ex-officio member of all committees.
The President shall serve a two-year term. The functions of the President shall be to:
- Set the agenda for and preside at all meetings of the CSA.
- Represent the CSA at meetings of the President’s Cabinet, Governance Council, and other groups as appropriate, or appoint any member as a designee.
- Appoint required CSA committees as needed.
- Assure that the CSA is represented in the Governance Model.
- Assure open communication between the CSA and the CVCC Community.
- Shall have signature authority, together with the Treasurer, for CSA funds.
- Perform all other duties pertaining to the office of the President.
The Vice-President shall serve a two-year term. The function of the Vice-President shall be to:
- Serve in the absence of the President.
- Assist the President in assuring that the lines of communication between the CSA and the CVCC Community remain open.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
- In the case of the resignation, or inability, of the President to complete his or her term, the Vice-President automatically becomes President for the unexpired term.
The Secretary shall serve a two-year term. The functions of the Secretary shall be to:
- Maintain accurate records, including attendance, of all meetings of the CSA.
- Post minutes to Communication Central as soon as possible after the membership approves minutes.
- Prepare reports of recommendations on policy actions for presentation.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President or membership.
- Receive the bank statement and reconcile with the Treasurer’s Report.
The Treasurer shall serve a two-year term. The functions of the Treasurer shall be to:
- Maintain accurate financial records for the CSA.
- Report current balances in each meeting, or provide the Treasurer’s report to the President before the meeting.
- Make deposits of funds to the CSA account as soon as possible after receipt.
- Make disbursements of CSA funds when needed, as approved by the membership in a meeting.
- The highest-ranking officer in attendance of a meeting will inform, within two business days, absent officers of all business discussed.
- Any money received by fundraising/donation must be counted and documented at the conclusion of the event by two CSA members and given to the Treasurer to deposit within two business days of receipt. In the event that the Treasurer is not available, the funds should be turned over to another officer to be deposited.
- Reconcile the bank statement with the Secretary.
- Shall have signature authority, together with the President, for CSA funds.