THE FACULTY ASSOCIATION (CVCC)
CONSTITUTION OF THE FACULTY ASSOCIATION OF CENTRAL VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE
The Faculty Association of Central Virginia Community College.
Full-time and part-time teaching faculty, counselors, and librarians are eligible for membership. No employee responsible for the faculty promotion, salary increase, or appointment will be eligible for membership.
It shall be the purpose of the Association to provide for free and open discussion of any matter of academic or professional concern to the members of the Faculty Association of Central Virginia Community College.
In areas delegated by the President of the College, the Association will offer advice and recommendations.
It is the responsibility of the Association to assume academic leadership in the promotion of the purposes of the College, in the advancement of the interests of the faculty, and in consideration of the educational welfare of the students.
The Association seeks to work with all internal groups and organizations in the achievement of the goals of the College.
Finally, the Association seeks to cooperate with and participate in that larger community of interests including the constituent area, the Community College System of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and appropriate state and national organizations.
The organization shall consist of (1) The Membership, (2) Elected Officers, and (3) Executive Council.
1. The Membership shall consist of those persons authorized in Section II.
2. The Officers shall consist of President, Vice-President, and Secretary-Treasurer.
3. The Executive Council shall consist of the officers named in sub-section (2), above, and one representative from each academic division, and a representative from the counselors and librarians.
V. ELECTIONS AND VACANCIES
- The Secretary and the Treasurer shall be elected for a term of one year.
- The President Elect shall be elected for a term of two years, the first serving as Vice President, the second as the President of the Association
3. The Executive Council shall oversee the nomination and election procedures for the offices of President, Vice-President, and Secretary-Treasurer.
4. The Divisional Representatives and representative for the counselors and librarian(s) shall serve on the Executive Council for a term of one year and shall be chosen by their respective memberships. The representatives will be responsible for the nomination and election procedure in their respective divisions/area for the new term. This member shall report the results of the election to the President no later than April 30.
5. The nomination of officers, divisional representatives, and the elections shall take place during April of each year.
6. The new officers and divisional representatives will assume their duties on August 16 of each year.
7. If the office of President shall become vacant, the Vice-President shall assume the office for the unexpired term. Other vacancies of office shall be filled by special elections for the unexpired terms.
8. The Association shall elect a representative to the Chancellors’ Faculty Advisory Committee for a term of three years. In the event that the representative resigns or leaves the college, the President of the Faculty Association shall appoint a representative to serve until such time as the next regular meeting of the Association.
9. The Association may elect a representative to the Faculty Senate of Virginia for a term of three years. In the event that the faculty representing resigns or leaves the college, the President of the Faculty Association shall appoint a representative to serve until such time as the next regular meeting of the Association.
1. The Membership
a. The Faculty Association shall meet at least once during every semester. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the President.
b. The Membership shall pass all necessary Bylaws for the effective functioning of the Association and append such Bylaws to this document.
c. The Membership shall act in accordance with the Constitution and Robert's Rules of Order on all matters brought before it by the President, Executive Council, or individual members.
a. The President shall act in accordance with the usual functions of the office, shall provide leadership for the Association, and shall chair meetings of the Association and meetings of the Executive Council.
b. The Vice-President shall assist the President in the functions of his/her office and will chair meetings of the Association and Executive Council in the absence of the President.
c. The Secretary- shall collect dues when applicable from members, shall take minutes for meetings of the Faculty Association and the Executive Council, and shall assist the President and Vice-President, as needed, in the functions of their offices.
d. The Treasurer will be responsible for overseeing all the faculty mandated rewards and recognitions.
The President of the Association may appoint ad hoc committees as needed.
Amendments when passed by two-thirds of the Membership and signed by the President shall become an integral part of this document.
This Constitution shall become effective when duly ratified by two-thirds of the Membership present and voting at a meeting called for this purpose by the President and/or Executive Council.
Ratified by the Membership: 2/21/95
Revised by the Membership: 11/21/95
Revised by the Membership: 09/29/2017